Another feed question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jakoda, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    there's so much out there regarding what age to start layer.

My chickies (all standard size) will be 15 weeks old tomorrow, I've got about 25lbs of starter crumble left which will probably last a good 4 more weeks, (hubby bought this bag, dumped it, chickens aren't that thrilled with it, it was Poulin brand:( I just bought a bag of Nutrena layer feed pellets, and they 'love' it, am wondering if it's to early to 'mix' so, I can basically get rid of the starter/crumble since I have so much of it, I don't want to go buy another bag..

So am I jumping the gun adding the layer feed??? thoughts/suggestions?
    Thanks
    Diane

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Cut through the noise.

If you are using Purina, then follow the guidelines outlined by Purina. It either on the back of the bag, or on their website. Easy peasey. If you are using Blue Seal, ditto.

Again, just cut through the clutter and follow the schedule or feeding chart provided, recommended or suggested by the feed company you choose. I can tell you this, 16-18 weeks is recommended on every feed chart I've ever checked, and I've checked dozens of charts from dozens of feed companies over the years.

Layer feed is NOT magic. It is merely feed with high calcium included. That's it. Nothing special at all. But.... that said, that high calcium ground into it is indeed damaging to the renal systems of younger birds. It takes a month or more of feeding that calcium to younger birds for it to build up in the kidneys and in their bodies. Feeding it a week or two early is very unlikely to ever be an issue. Still, it is unwise, unneeded and unnecessary to feed calcium laced layer feed to a bird who hasn't yet laid an egg. Feed that old feed, and yes, you can mix, but finish it off.

I hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    yes Fred it does help thank you..:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by