1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another feeding question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by runningj, Oct 16, 2012.

1. runningj

runningj New Egg

Oct 16, 2012
    I have 11 Rhode Island Red hens, my first flock, that are about 6 months old.
    I currently feed them crumbles, about a 3 lb coffee can every day. Each day I go out at the same time to feed and water them and get them back into the coop and everyday they act like they are starving to DEATH even though they forage in the garden and in the pasture most days.

They never have any food left over from they day before when I go to feed them each day and they seem very happy and healthy. My question is do I need to increase the amount of food they are getting? Is it ok for them to been running out of food each day as long as they seems shiny and healthy and clucking contentedly? What about for the winter? Do I need to up the amount they are eating when it gets cold?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would feed them twice a day OR increase the amount you feed OR put the feed in a feeder in the coop.

The downside to crumbles on the ground is twofold: the wild birds might clean it up if they can't eat it all at once and the rain will make it moldy if it sits on the ground uneaten for a few days.

Hence, a lot of folks find it best to just put a feeder in the coop and leave it full. They fill their crops over and over throughout the day.

For that many birds you should be near to feeding 100 lb a month I am guessing. So you are close to that with 3 lb a day but I'd definitely give them more if they are eating it all and only once a day.

In wintertime yes they do eat more, for sure!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  3. runningj

runningj New Egg

Oct 16, 2012
    Quote: I do feed them in both a feeder and some on the ground. One of the things I've been considering is adding another feeder. With my work hours, feeding once a day is all I can do. :)

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by