Another first egg story! (pic)

utahmethodist

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
SLC, UT
It must be the right time of the year for first eggs because we just got ours yesterday too. All morning my 20-week-old Buff Orpington, Miss Prissy, was just incorrigible. She was crabby and wouldn't stop screeching at everyone. She also was obsessed with getting access to her nesting box which has been off-limits so that she and her same-aged Australorp buddy wouldn't try to sleep and poop in it. So I installed a little ladder so she could check it out. Once she got inside I could hear her purring and scratching the straw into a nest shape. Then she began making (I swear) grunting noises. After about an hour of this.....with me hovering outside like a parent in the Labor and Delivery waiting room and the Australorp staring at the nest box with clear chickeny concern on her face.......everything got quiet. So I opened the access door to the nesting box and peeked inside and saw this:

3uARQL74x2eozd1MV2UXkIhaubevKkBhJY5NKNBvvkuTJNwFY3zs2ERAZrGT7tWo3sdOoz-TXpnZTFw1Yj3iRyfXilup3kaNBpJLfezeAL4

A perfect, tiny egg! My kids were thrilled and all took turns holding it and complimenting Miss Prissy on her fantastic accomplishment. We each had a tiny bite of it for breakfast this morning and everything I'd ever read about the quality of home eggs was true. It was incredible! I can't wait for more.

Thanks everybody! She was in the nest box most of the afternoon despite a 97 degree day but ended up with nothing to show for it. Hopefully she'll have better luck tomorrow.

We are hoping for our first eggs anytime between September 1 and September 13th.

Congratulations... I'm trying to imagine where you are living in SLC... on a 10th of an acre.

I lived for 3 years on 8th East between 2nd and 3rd South back when I attended the U.

We lived in a home that was divided into a duplex on a teeny tiny lot with an itty bitty backyard.... that's what I am imagining.

Harvard-Yale/Sugarhouse. It's one of those neighborhoods with 1920's bungalows and small lots. Fantastic character, not a ton of space. But I love our neighborhood and wouldn't want to move too far away.

Back
Top Bottom