Another Flyboy...first time poster!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Flyboy718, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Hi,

Just found out that we can have chickens in our backyard inside city limits! Max we can have is 6. My goals are to have fresh eggs, maybe a meat chicken a few times a year and finally, for my daughter who is now 5 to be able to show chickens at 4-H at some point. I guess right now goals are fresh eggs and expose my daughter to raising chickens. I have nothing yet and have to do this from the ground up...I want to do this with as little expense as possible. I also am kinda worried about rooster making noise in the morning waking neighboors up, the animal control officer said that would be a problem if it happens. How many roosters do I need for a flock of six chickens? Thanks, and I will need lots of help.

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I would only go with one rooster, and only if you want fertile eggs. Otherwise there is really no need. They are loud.

[​IMG]

3. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Trust me, you only need one rooster! Most factories use the ratio 1:100 roos to hens.

[​IMG]

4. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    Ok, dumb question, sorry...but do you have to have a rooster for egg laying purposes or does a hen just lay eggs? Please don't throw anything at me! HA!

5. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    Ok, I found the answer to that question...you don't need a rooster. Next question, how many eggs will six hen's produce a week? I know this depends on variety and diet...so, answer that question too...what is a good egg laying bread and what to feed them?

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hi and welcome to BYC.[​IMG] You don't need roosters to maintain a flock. As far as egg laying goes, there are a lot of docile breeds that are good layers. I personally like a mixed flock with a varity color eggs. I really like my speckled Sussex, Easter egger(sold as Americana), rhode island red, frizzle Cochin and brahma. Actually, I love them all. We brought our chicks home before we even built a coop. Your chicks will need to be in a brooder with a heat lamp for the first 4-6 weeks. The more you handle your chicks, the friendlier they are. I know that first hand and have 8 lap chickens. Good luck! Our chicken experience has turned out so much better then we planned.

7. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello and Welcome to BYC!
    Sound like an awesome plan. Fresh eggs are so good. I have a two year old daughter and she just loves helping me feed the chickens.

8. Brookiesflock

Brookiesflock Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    I have 7 laying hens and NO rooster, they do just fine, I also have 10 silkies for my kids to show soon in 4H they love love them, and 1 beautiful Bronze breasted Turkey, just do as much HOMEWORK on care that you can, keep them safe and healthy and your flock will love you [​IMG]

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Congrats and have fun. You are getting good advice.

Imp

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by