Another fodder question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by roseyred, Mar 17, 2015.

1. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    [​IMG]

So I started sprouting fodder in the hallway on an old table. Started out great. I've dropped or tray and the dogs ate it lol. I'm having an issue with mold. Just little flecks of white mold. Im using well water which may be the issue. Has anyone heard of theives oil? It's safe for consumption and kills mold and prevents it. Was thinking if I move my fodder trays to outaside and watered them with water with some of this oil in it if
    #1 it'd be safe for the chickies
    And #2 has anyone had success with this or other stuff to keep mold at bay?

2. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I don't know about the Thieves Oil, but I can tell you what I did when I noticed mold on my sprouts/fodder. I used a weak bleach solution to wash my containers before I set the grain to sprout. You could also use white vinegar. I reduced the amount of grain I put in each container--thick layers held too much moisture. Drilled/poked some extra drainage holes in the trays, too. I put it in a slightly cooler location--this one you might have to play around with because you want warm enough for germination, but cool enough so that you don't encourage mold growth. Some grains actually germinate better at slightly cooler temps. The new location was also exposed to sunlight (old windows without any UV coating) and while the grains didn't need the sunlight to sprout, I think the light inhibited mold growth.

Good luck.

3. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014

Cool I'll add more holes. An I wish I could Nee the whole thing outaide! I think tht would help them grow better and inhibit the mold. I'll try the vinegar. I wonder if spritzing thwm with diluted Apple cider vinegar would work? Or if it would inhibit growth in some way. I'll have to test it on some small batches!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by