Another food question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kmoreau, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    My baby Pekin is about 3 weeks. I work at a feed store so I am able to get my food very cheaply. I just want to make sure I am on the right track. I have been feeding cracked corn mix with non medicated chick starter. I add vitamins to the waterer 3 times a week, and make sure he is getting proper niacin intake. I let the duckling in the yard with my other duck 5 times a week to forage and eat grass. I also give it peas, broccoli, and worms as treats pretty often. When do I stop feeding the chick starter, and should I switch to a lay pellet? I also have read conflicting things about feed cracked corn as a staple, should I add it to the food or only use it in the winter?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I lean toward just using a little cracked corn for calories. There's a bit in the layer feed I am now using and I don't fret about it.

Sounds like you are doing some very good things there! I would steer away from corn as a constant diet. At three weeks I had switched my runners from waterfowl starter to duck grower / maintenance feed. When they began displaying breeding behaviors at about 12 weeks of age, I set out oyster shell free choice. I was uncertain whether I might have a drake, and didn't want him to have layer feed (too much calcium rough on drakes).

As it turns out, I have all girls so they get a layer mash, which I moisten and to which I add some dry cat kibble and a little extra oyster shell. The ducks forage quite a bit, so their calcium got out of balance several weeks ago and we are still recovering from that.

When changing feed, I start mixing the new in the the current and increase the amount of new feed until I'm feeding all new stuff.

So I started switching from "baby food" to grower/maintenance after the second week, if I recall correctly.

3. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    We just fed ours a chick starter/grower. Then when they were full-grown we let them loose with the chickens and they ate layer food, plus all the grass and dirt and stuff the one duck eats now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by