Another... Found bird dead. What killed it? Heart attack?

MadAngler

Songster
Apr 14, 2014
My Coop
My Coop
So, my coop and run are very predator proof. All openings are poultry fence with 1/4" opening. Poultry fence is buried 1' out of all sides. All doors are latched shut.

This morning, I found that something had pawed the ground around the entire coop. It did not dig far enough to reach the poultry fence.

I also found one dead chicken in the coop. It was in the run about 2 feet from the closest wall. I did a full autopsy on the bird but could not find a single scratch.

During the autopsy, the heart didn't seem right. There was congealed blood around the heart and a little more in the chest cavity. There was virtually no blood anywhere else (the comb was light pink instead of red, the legs were very light, and the meat was blood free).

Is it possible that dogs, coyotes, or foxes just ran around the coop and tried digging all around? And then the chicken died of a heart attack during the resulting chaos?

But... There is always a but... I do have a 2" opening around the entire top in the eave area. A fisher or mink could climb and get through that gap. But would one of those have torn up the ground around the entire perimeter???

Back
Top Bottom