another frizzle gender question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FrizzleDizzle, Oct 5, 2009.

1. FrizzleDizzle

FrizzleDizzle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    i saw the last thread on telling the difference in male & female frizzles, but im still confused. so, what is this one?? any guesses? im not sure the age, a few monthes i think.

i really appreciate all the help & feedback. i am learning soo much from all of you. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i know the silkie is a male!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    Can you can tell me a few things about the bird?
    Maybe look at the tail?

I will give you a crash course to help you.
    So here is a good way to tell... Look at the tail. All around tips of the feathers. Are there anymore large tail feathers (man feathers) coming in or is the tail fully grown in? Look around good.
    If so what is the shape of the feathers? are they more pointy or are they more rounded then the feathers all ready grown in?.
    If you ever see any of it then it is most likely a boy.

I am not quite sure But I am going to say Male
    Just because by its looks. See those fancy longer feathers comeing off the back on the first picture? just around the tail? and they are more pointy and long, traveling up the back to the hackle
    Hens have their backs frizzled but the feathers are more rounded.

I know some people are going to say hen. But keep what I said in mind and go have a look at your bird and see for yourself... And if you don't see what I said after you looked then its a hen..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Part of the telling also depends on what kind of frizzle it is. I think most are cochin based, but I have a frizzled Japanese banty. But your little one, if 3 months old, I would vote rooster because of the amount of read in the comb.

4. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Hey I recognize that silkie.

5. FrizzleDizzle

Jun 8, 2009
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    i love that silkie (kevin). he is my baby!! i was suppose to send him to my dad's but i cant part with him. he makes me love on him every morning. thanks m.farm [​IMG]

ill have to look at the frizzle tomorrow.

6. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    Umm forgot to say that the man feathers that come in will be more slender then the feathers that are there. And yeah a good way to tell is by the color of the head and how red it is.

Still going to say boy though. And he is adorable [​IMG]

Yeath that silkie is adorable to!

7. FrizzleDizzle

Jun 8, 2009
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    i tried to check out his feathers, but i cant tell. his feathers are so frizzly & funny, I have no idea [​IMG]
    i was trying to get a pic of the bird today, but he wouldnt cooperate.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by