Another genetics question: White x black = blueish with red leakage?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by magicpigeon, Feb 21, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I will try to get a pic tomorrow as it is dark already here but my question:
    I bred a white silkie male to a black female and got a chick with a small white dot on one side of it's head, a white crop and bottom (bit like an australorp [​IMG] ), a completely black head and what looked like a bluish colored body. It has now got some wings and there is red leakage on that/ What are the genetics behind this? Does it mean I've got recessive white and dominant.... something else? The white silkies have definetely NOT got red genes and I was sure the black didn't either so I don't know how they got in. I will post pics of the parents:

[​IMG]
    The mother is the black bird. There is a small chance it could have been the partridge, but we got some definite partridge x white chicks which look nothing like this black one so I'm not sure.

[​IMG]
    The father could have been either of these two roos.

Here is an old photo of the chick I've just found. You cannot see the red yet and the white spot is not visible but here it is anyway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

Also, any ideas on what it will look like when completely feathered out? [​IMG]

2. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    what kind of silkie roos are they? they are huge and have wrong comb type. they looked mixed with something. your hens are very pretty.

3. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    your roos have white ear lopes. iam i seeing this right? your chick is cute. i think your roos have a recessive color hiding in them. do your silkies look different because your in austuraila?

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Yeah, I think so. Then again, I didn't get these from a show quality breeder, I got them from my friend. The black and partridge however are some "culls" from a reputable breeder. The blue is pretty hard to see from the photo and I realised the comb type was wrong. But my friend has been breeding these silkes for more than 7 generations and they are all still white. Any ideas?

Thanks [​IMG]

5. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    they almost look like a wyandotte body with silkie feathers. they had a very high broad chest. no crests or beards. i think maybe they has to be something recessive in there. even with seven generations. their still could be recessive genes. the chick looks like it mine come out cuckoo.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:No doubt they are largefowl silkies. Note that the OP is in Australia, where there are both largefowl and bantam silkies. Those are modified rose combs, which is what silkie combs all were originally. That said, the one in front does not have a very good comb; hte one farther back is more typical. Earlobes look typical of an older bird.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:THey are non-bearded.

9. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    is therea reason why they dont have crests?

10. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    THey have quite small crests. Silkie crests in the US are MUCH larger than in other countries. The males' crests are quite small; much more of a tassel than a full crest. But if you look at the females in the background, you can see their crests.

All of that said, these are not showbirds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by