Another goat kidding question

lilshadow

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Milaca, MN
How soon after a goats ligament's disappear will she give birth? Alice my goat, has lost her ligament's and her area is red and swollen. It is 17 below zero here, and I am getting pretty nervous because I have never gone through this before. What do I need to do? There are no heat lamps, and no way of putting any up. Please give advise if you can. Her teat's have not filled yet, but I have read that it can take up to a few day's after she kids.

This is so hard to say. A swollen vulva is a good sign. If you see discharge then you know you are close. Goats generally bag-up well in advance, though, weeks ahead. So from what you've told us, it could be close or not close. All you can do is check often.

For us, loose ligaments are only a sign that she is getting closer. The best sign is a sudden filling of an udder, full and really tight (they call it "strutted udder") Mine usually deliver within 24 hours of getting that HUGE TIGHT udder

Most goats will start filling their udders about a month before kidding. But the really big, tight udder is usually a sign that kidding is VERY close

Last edited:
So if her udder looks bigger than it did yesterday, that means she is getting close? How close are we talkin about? This week would have to be the coldest week ever. Tonight is suppose to be 35-40 below with wind chill.

I have had goats who have seem to lost their ligaments a week before delivery and others 12 hours before. The udder is also really good to check. As mine get closer, I "goose" them 2 x a day to feel the changes. Most of the time, when that udder if very full and tight, mine have kidded in 8 hours or less. As for the bitter cold temps, I have almost lost babies when it was 12 degrees out as they froze to the fluids they were delivered in within 40 minutes of being born. Be careful, be sure they are in a warm place, and keep an eye on that momma! I was checking every 2 hours after her bag was full and still missed that moment. Good luck!

If you can move her inside where it's warm would be better than leaving her out with below zero temps.....

cool.png

I tried not to respond because I don't want to contradict too badly, AND confuse matters worse, but if the barn is good and tight, not drafty, the doe is healthy and she and any other animals out there are not having any problems now in the barn, it may not be best to bring her into a place like a house where the chaos of the move would stress her more.

Is it above freezing out there? Water not freezing up? Are any of the animals shivering, looking uncomfortable? Any sign that they're in any distress from the cold?

I'd be watching her VERY close, especially since you say there's no way of bringing a heat lamp or anything like it in.... making sure the kids get dried off quickly when they're born etc.... polar fleece is very washable and very warm even if it gets wet, unlike cotton fabric which looses any insulation properties if it gets wet.

If you need to bring them in after, so be it, but stressing mom out now is probably not the best thing. Of course, you know your situation best, if she's not easily bothered by getting lead into the family room, well, that might be just fine.
I'm sorry if this makes it harder... I don't mean to.

Quote:
The barn is very drafty, I have my barn door opened for my horses. The wind is very bad up here. It is 9 below temp right now. I have her stall covered in hay, I went and checked on her she was laying down, so I got nervouse(she can probably sense that). I am getting ready to go check her again. I told my husband that I would not lose babe's to this weather, even if that meant bringing her in the house or the garage. When I bought her, she was already pregnant, I was just hoping not this far along. I guess I will go out every hour on the hour tonight if I can. Her udder is visible bigger than yesterday though. If she could just make it to the weekend, that would be better, because it isn't as cold. Wind chill tonight is suppose to be 40 below.

Back
Top Bottom