another goat question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by agnes_day, Jan 6, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    ok..so i have read that you are supposed to have loose minerals and baking soda for them to have at will..how do i store it? do i dump it in a feeding trough, or what? i am picturing this bowl of baking soda sitting outside getting blown around by the wind.

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Great question! I would like to know too. I just haven't found anything that works well. I just keep finding it dumped all over the ground. Everytime I try to find some way to secure it the little bah bahs find some way to dump it, sleep in it, pooh in it....you know!

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Weve never gave our goats baking soda. But we do keep a mineral bucket with them most of the time. You can pick up a mineral bucket at the local TSC.

4. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    so i just fill it all the way up? im just trying to figure this out..does anyone have any pictures of their goat feeding setup?

5. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    The mineral bucket we get is solid it comes in the bucket and all you can just set it out with the goats and they lick it till its gone.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i have a solid mineral block for mine...they dont eat it at all!..Grr!...but my pig likes it!...[​IMG]....i think i am going to try the loose minerals next...
    also..its not the minerals in the bucket..its a solid hard block type thing...maybe they would like the bucket minerals?...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  7. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:It is like a mineral block but it comes in a bucket. . [​IMG] Ill try and take a pic of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
  8. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    ohhhh like those horse ones at the feed store...ok, i think i know what you mean.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You can use just about any container for minerals as long as it will keep them dry. I have some that are made to hang on a fence or board, and some that are just homemade troughs.

Try to put them high enough so the goats wont step in them.

Keep them filled all the time and the goats will eat what they need.
    Loose minerals work better than blocks. They are easier on their teeth. I've never used the ones in a bucket so I dont know their consistancy

Its also probably best to use metal or plastic. I have used wooden ones before, and if they arent kept full, they will often chew the wood. I've had sheep eat completely through the middle of a 1 X 8 wooden trough

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by