another goat question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalgirl2010, Jan 24, 2009.

1. animalgirl2010

animalgirl2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    I posted about my pregnant goats awhile ago and she had her baby three days ago [​IMG] She stayed with the baby all day the first day but today she is staying with the other goats and not paying attention to the baby. She will cry back to it when it cries but other than that she is staying away from it. He seems to be fed ok but I really dont know what to look for. Also my other goats had twins this is the first single should I be milking her to make her more comfortable or is it ok to just let the baby nurse?Maybe this is normal and these are stupid questions but I am just worried about him thanks in advance.

2. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    This is OK for a goat. The Mama will leave the kid to eat while it is to young to be around the other goats. Some goats will only feed their babies 2 times a day others will feed maybe 4. Don't worry in no time the kid will be interacting with the other goats and playing and having the time of its life!

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I agree...they do leave them to go eat and they do return....the baby will be fine and will join soon also.

4. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    just make sure baby is active with a full belly and warm, but as said momma goats do sort of let their babies on their own so that they can eat and establish their place in the herd again. I have some moms that are very attentive for weeks following their babies around and then some who seem to figure that since the baby can walk and follow that she can do what she wants and baby will figure out how to come along.

5. animalgirl2010

animalgirl2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    ok thanks. My other goats always stayed with the babies almost constantly so I didnt know. He is doing good and seems quiet when she isnt with him so I guess thats good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by