another goat question!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by agnes_day, Mar 1, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    this isnt really a concern, but it is pretty funny..my boy jack will wait until his "sisters" are eating, or otherwise occupied and then butt them really hard and sort of rear back in a really funny way..are goats smart enough to tease other goats?? [​IMG] he is just hilarious because he used to get picked on without mercy and now he seems to enjoy being the tormentor haha!

[​IMG]

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    sounds normal to me as they are always trying each other.

3. chook pen jen

chook pen jen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Collie W.Australia
    Idont have goats at the moment [​IMG] But when I did ,one 4 month buck kid which was still feeding from his mum ,managed in one day to get both his mum and another young doe in kid .I know it was the same day as they gave birth to triplets (mum) and one to lilly,all buck kids.So I think not only are they smart enough ,they are also very determind [​IMG]

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Is you little man wethered? If not depending on his age he needs to be. IF these are Nigis or Pygmys they start their heat cycles at about 8 wks and the makes are fertile at 8 wks also. Time to separate. If he is banded and just palying its normal for them to play fight and butt heads.

5. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    oh god yes he is wethered haha! i have heard too many horror stories about bucks. he is just a sweetie though..he loves to crawl into my lap and give me kisses! [​IMG]
    the girls are ok with me but they are just tolerating me i can tell [​IMG]

6. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    goats are crazy, i have a bunch, i have a nubian wether that's really come out of his shell, he's been feeling frisky, he runs sideways and bucks, his name is melvin, he's my buck hillbilly's side kick, i'm separating everyone this week since kidding starts next week, oh my more worry![​IMG]

7. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    i think goats have to be one of the best pets ever..i didnt think i would love having them as much as i do! [​IMG]

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I love watching them play like that. Especially the rearing up and turning their heads. My big dairy gals do that and you would think they were going in for the kill, but just end up pulling back right before they hit.
    Yesterday I went with a friend to check on a womans pregnant mare. She has 2 half grown billys in an inside/outside pen. Of course they had to come in to check out us visitors. The one billy kept shaking my hand...it was so funny. I would say shake and up would come his hoof. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by