Another Goner?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenkerri, Mar 5, 2009.

1. chickenkerri

chickenkerri Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Two days ago I got my first shipment of Silkie chicks. Yesterday one died on me and I'm currently holding one on deaths door. Am I right to separate this chick? He/She can't stand and the other chicks are trampling it. I've done all the "right" things for this chick. It keeps opening and closing its beak. It's just so weak. Should I keep it separate or let him/her die with its chick brothers and sisters? [​IMG]

2. chutewoman

chutewoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Mid- Missouri
    I think I would separate it from the others. If it is very weak it will probably not miss getting stepped on or pushed around. If it cheaps loudly I would maybe put one or two calm chicks in with it for company, if you can't do that maybe a stuffed animal or something fluffy to snuggle under. Do you have any idea what is wrong with it, besides breathing funny? Has it ever drank or ate?

3. chickenkerri

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have 35 of them and they all seemed to be eating and drinking as of last night and all day today. The poor thing isn't cheeping - it seems like it's gasping for air. The other one I lost yesterday was doing the same thing.

4. chutewoman

Dec 28, 2008
    Mid- Missouri
    I have some baby silkies too. Mine have all gotten some sort of cold, but it just started with one little buff silkie. I now have put them all on antibiotic and I think they are going to make it. Mine started with the one buff shaking its head and making a sneezing noise, he would then open his mouth like he could not breathe, he also made a funny noise while doing this like wheezing. I separated him and a couple of others that where shaking their heads into one box. They now all have it. Just to be safe I think I would take him out if this is the second one. See if you can get him to drink anything. If you see that it is going from chick to chick I would get them on antibiotic. Is he eating at all?

5. chickenkerri

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    He/She just died. I'm scared because I have some new babies coming tomorrow and I was going to add them in with the Silkie chicks. I guess I'll just have to see what tomorrow brings.

6. chutewoman

Dec 28, 2008
    Mid- Missouri
    I do not mean to scare you [​IMG] . This may just be a case in which the chicks were not developed correctly, got weak and died. Just keep an eye out for any odd symptoms in the other chicks. If you see anything out of the ordinary I would not add more chicks to the brooder.

7. NOnuggets

NOnuggets Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene Idaho
    Ideal?

8. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Oh no! I am so very sorry!!! [​IMG]

I had this exact same thing happen with one of my new chicks. My son googled 'gasping chick' and it brought up this forum and a thread where advice was given to administer olive oil with an eye dropper and massage the throat. I did that and worked with the chick for like an hour. I Really thought it was going to die on me. I didn't think I could do any more for it, so I put it back in with the other 4 chicks and went to work. I was a wreck at work and very distracted, but by the time I came home a few hours later(5 to be exact) the chick had stopped gasping and was alert, drinking, and eating. I think it ate too much, or maybe swallowed a piece of shaving material. [​IMG] [​IMG] In any case, the advice we found helped us, and I am very very sorry I didn't see this thread earlier to offer some advice. [​IMG] I am wishing the very best for you and all of your chicks. I am guessing sometimes stress on young chicks affects them each differently, because everyone else is doing just fine and not displaying any symptoms of illness. Congrats on all of your new little babies!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by