Another goose?

happyappy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 14, 2014
Pa
I have a female buff goose that is 5 months old. She has 3 ducks and a bunch of chickens for company. Should she have another goose for company? Lately she has gotten very aggressive with the dogs and actually killed 2 of my silkies. Could it be because she is lonely or just getting territorial?

If you plan on keeping her you should get her another goose. A lone goose is lonely and insecure.

She's adopting an adult mindset now, and that means attacking dogs and chickens because they make her feel unsafe. Geese attack in order to scare away to a safe distance. Geese are not really territorial, but they like to maintain personal space. They only attack when they feel they have a chance, or if they're cornered. Otherwise they'll run.

On one hand, she'll feel safer with goose company, which should lower the attack rate. On the other hand, she'll feel more confident, and that may increase the attack rate.

Grown geese attack stuff. That's just how they're made. What and how often they attack depends on the individual and on the upbringing. The best thing to do for your goose would be to get her company and to keep the chickens and the dogs away from the geese. Fence in the geese, or fence in the chickens and the dogs.

I have a female buff goose that is 5 months old. She has 3 ducks and a bunch of chickens for company. Should she have another goose for company? Lately she has gotten very aggressive with the dogs and actually killed 2 of my silkies. Could it be because she is lonely or just getting territorial?
Firstly, are you sure it´s a female? Males are far more likely to behave like this.
Secondly, yes, all that Goose girl said, it needs another goose, geese just need geese, they have such tight family bonds. Any chance of you getting a female? That way, if you already have a male, there´ll be no real fighting, and if you already have a female, then the company will be great and you´ll get plenty of eggs!
big_smile.png

I'm pretty sure she's a girl. She has a big "egg pouch" between her legs. That's the only way I know to tell.Are there any other signs?

She is my first goose, I really got her for protection for the ducks. She does a good job.

I guess I will be looking for another goose then.

I'm pretty sure she's a girl. She has a big "egg pouch" between her legs. That's the only way I know to tell.Are there any other signs?

She is my first goose, I really got her for protection for the ducks. She does a good job.

I guess I will be looking for another goose then.
This is an American 'lavender ice' gander... don´t go by the lobes, in some breeds both sexes have them.
Isn´t he beautiful!

He is beautiful... But he has the "egg pouch" too.

Maybe I do have a boy after all.

Your ganders build is like my goose. Short, thick neck.

Is a ganders "talk" different? Otis has a soft, raspy voice very rarely honks.

He is beautiful... But he has the "egg pouch" too.

Maybe I do have a boy after all.

Your ganders build is like my goose. Short, thick neck.

Is a ganders "talk" different? Otis has a soft, raspy voice very rarely honks.
This one isn´t my gander, I got the pic off Feathersite, but it just shows that some breeds, like the Americans, have the ganders with lobes. His build is very male, though...thicker neck, etc.
Ganders do make different noise, a lighter, higher-pitched chat, whereas the females have a lower voice.
Pop a pic on here, let us have a guess......
And do a search on Google at images of American Buffs.

This is Otis. Not sure now if its a him or her... Any ideas?
Beautiful An American Buff? I´d guess female by its stance in the first pic, but I´m not so sure about the second pic. If you see the pic I posted, the gander stands really quite tall. But I don´t have Americans, so wouldn´t like to say for sure.
Have you posted on the American thread? Beautiful bird.

Yes, he/she is an American Buff. Very pretty and entertaining when not attacking the chickens (the dogs can fend for themselves, they aren't supposed to be in the bird area anyway)Even my husband likes her, even if her favorite poop spot is in front of his shop door
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom