Another Grit and Calcium Question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BurdTurds, Mar 24, 2015.

1. BurdTurds

BurdTurds New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    Bond county Il
    Hello everyone I'll be getting 15 rhode island reds here in a couple weeks.. They will be semi free range in a 100×150' cage.. The thing I'm wanting to do is add a hanging feeder that is full of just calcium (oyster shells) and Grit mixed togther always accessible for them? Would mixing them be a bad thing? I know they don't need calcium young and grit if they free range but I'm gonna supply it anyways in the coop.. I'm just worried about mixing them in one big feeder?

2. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I always give my birds Grit/oyster shells no matter what as well. I've mixed them together in one dish before and they've done just fine. I have some small feeders and I put grit on one side and oyster shells on the other, but they always end up mixing them, so I don't think it really matters. Hope all goes well with your future flock!

3. BurdTurds

BurdTurds New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    Bond county Il
    Hey that is an amazing idea I love this site already I could just add a divider in the feeder and split it half grit half calcium that would also gimme an idea of what their lacking in there natural forage..
    Thanks alot for that nugget of info

4. nevada slim

nevada slim New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    I put both calcium and grit in the same feeder. Seems to work just fine.

5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I always sprinkled the grit and oyster in the food. I kept reading about "free choice" separate bowls ect. Tried that for a day, they billed it everywhere. So I have two 3' long trough feeders and changed my birds from layer to all flock. I put a big handful of oyster at one end and grit at the other for the convenience of the hens and roos...they don't care, by the end of the day, it's all mixed up and everyone is fine. [​IMG]

6. BurdTurds

BurdTurds New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    Bond county Il
    I plan to hang 3 DIY feeders/waterer in the middle of the coop I made out of 5 gallon buckets. Grit and calcium in one feed in another and the last has 4 waterer cups around the bottom of it. I'm hoping these will limit the spilling and messes..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by