1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another Guess My breed thread...Can you take a guess?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickenclucker, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Chickenclucker

Chickenclucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    Western Slope, Co
    Picked up 3 assorted bantam cochins at the local feed store,
    I have no clue about any of there breeds. If anyone has any similar chicks that look like these let me know.
    Cool points for guessing. Thanks! And don't forget to guess![​IMG]PLEASE!!!!!

Chick 1.
    Almost black but not quite, very dark dark brown. Has feather feet and the fuzz around the comb is a lighter brown. Only other distinctions are lighter brown specs on wing feathers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

^ See the lighter head color
    and below the light spots on wings.
    [​IMG]

OK Chick 2.
    No feathers on the foot, Distinguishing mark on the top of head.
    I thought all cochins have feathered feet? Can anyone answer this question as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one was very shy!

Chick 3. This cutie also has no feather on her feet and as for the marks they are pretty distinguishing and speak for themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well thanks for taking a look everyone![​IMG]

2. Chickenclucker

Sep 7, 2012
    Western Slope, Co
    [​IMG]......patiently waiting, I need some popcorn. I wish it was 6 weeks already so I could figure it out!

3. amnich

amnich Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    These are from a bantam cochin bin? The first one I would agree is a cochin. Second one I don't think is a cochin, but I don't know what breed it is. Third is definitely not a cochin, it is an Old English Game Bantam.

Just saw your part about cochin foot feathering. Yes, they are supposed to have some sort of feathering on their feet, even if it is light feathering (feed stores don't usually carry high quality chickens, so feathering on the feet may be only a little bit). Which is why I do not think #2 is a cochin.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  4. ChickenChatten

ChickenChatten Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    I'm horrible at these, honestly, but what cute chicks!:)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. Chickenclucker

Sep 7, 2012
    Western Slope, Co
    I guess I got duped...oh well I will be happy with OEGB. And for the others anyone else have any suggestions?

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    #1 looks to be a partridge Cochin. The dark feather will moult out and then they'll be pretty brown with penciling.
    #2 I'm not sure. It looks like it has short legs, Japanese maybe?
    #3 I agree OEGB :)
    Nikki

7. Chickenclucker

Sep 7, 2012
    Western Slope, Co
    Thanks for all the replies everyone!!! Im thinking chick 3 is a blue or black breasted oegb...yay those are beautiful. Another great bird to add to the bunch. I will post more pics later so everyone that guessed can see if they were right:D

8. Chickenclucker

Sep 7, 2012
    Western Slope, Co
    Update: with new pictures of the bunch.
    Chick 1: Figured out its probably a gold laced cochin, I'm so excited I picked a laced chick out of the assorted bin. Does everyone else think I'm right?
    My daughter named her sally, Although we aren't exactly sure if its a pullet or not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok Chick 2:
    I stiill have no clue what breed this one is.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Chick 3, everyone convinced me its OEGB, but don't know what kind.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by