1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another Guess that Silkie thread...what is staypuff?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by artsyrobin, Aug 27, 2011.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    this is staypuff, 3-4 months old

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I think you have a rooster there. The unevenness of the feathers in the crest plus the pink comb and skin around the beak. Males are more prone to red combs and wattles.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    thanks, i was hoping not, but not a real crisis, other than he is in a mixed banty flock and his best friend is a BR pullet- but there is a cochin roo, what are the chances in a flock of 12 pullets and one roo that he will get along ok?

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    He'll probably be fine in your mixed flock. The only silkie roo I've ever owned lived in a large mixed flock with 4 other boys. He was the only feather footed breed I had at the time. I went hatch crazy that spring and ended up with 48 new chicks. I would say 85% of those chicks were his. He was the smallest, scrappiest guy in my flock.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i'll just see how things work, the roo is a cochin and a sweetheart, there are 14 hens, and a big run, so hopefully they will get along... thanks for sharing, thats a relief!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by