Another guess

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RonC, May 20, 2012.

1. RonC

RonC Songster

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I posted pics when they were younger and most said Red Stars. They did have lighter colored tips on their feathers when younger but have since almost gone away. Two are a dark mahogony color now. there's a pic of one of them. The others are a lighter color red but none have any white under feathers. They all have some black feathers but you can't see them in the pics.Also the lighter color ones heads are larger than the darker ones. They came from TSC and I was told red pullets, same breed but I'm wondering now if the darker ones are RIR. RIR, NH, RSL,Production Red were the possiblities on the sign. Any guesses on them?

[​IMG]
    lighter ones
    [​IMG]
    Darker one

2. production reds

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Definitely Production Reds.

4. Bangarang64

Bangarang64 Songster

Apr 2, 2012
    Lake Okeechobee
    aren't [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RSLs and Production Reds the same thing?[/FONT]

5. RonC

RonC Songster

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I was told that but from what I have read no they are not. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html They are all hybrids but have different breed for parents.A red production is a cross between RIR an NHR and don't think it's a sexlink having both parents red. I've learned alot about little red chickens.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  6. Bangarang64

Bangarang64 Songster

Apr 2, 2012
    Lake Okeechobee
    OK, cause my RSLs have a lot more white in them then those. If PRs where the same thing I was gonna give a another opinion, but if they are different, then yeah they wouldn't look like mine anyway.

7. Pele

Pele Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    They are similar in that they are both hybrids, but look much different from one another.

Red SLs are hybrids that take advantage of a genetic quirk that happens when you cross two specifically colored birds. This produces chicks that can be gender ID'ed by color the moment they hatch.

Production Reds are a hybrid developed by blending a number of high production egg-layers. The genders are not easily told apart at birth except by professional vent checkers.

Here is a picture of my Red SL to show you the big color difference:

[​IMG]

8. Bangarang64

Bangarang64 Songster

Apr 2, 2012
    Lake Okeechobee
    yup!
    that's what my girls look like!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: