Another guessing game. What do you think??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickie Mamma, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I need to know the gender of these 2 silkies. They are 12 weeks old. Hope the pics are ok.. any guesses are appreciated [​IMG]
    This is "Clucky"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is "Perdue"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    heres my guess, clucky is a cockerel and perdue is a pullet.

3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks for the guess... These silkies are so much harder to sex than my other breeds. Its hard to see their combs and their "poofs" all look the same to me... [​IMG]

4. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    No other guesses?? [​IMG]

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Oh better pics..LOL Clucky is a roo and Perdue is a pulelt.

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:This is how i mostly do my sexing...on silkies by atleast 13 weeks i can get a lil guess on which is what. A roo will start to develop a bigger comb with some color maybe wide and ruff or just look like a large bump on the comb a pullet will be flat or and narrow not wide.

Also you can start to see streamers by then a roo will have spiky looking feathers start to stick out from their poofs a pullet will not.

This is just some things i use to get a better GUESS on mine so far I have been right but since I have BYC i always take pics to show to make sure I am right.

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They look like a pair, with the top bird being a cockerel and the bottom one a pullet.

8. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Clucky does have some male looks, but also some female traits as well. Does Clucky have a single comb? If so I am going to guess pullet for both.

9. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks for the replys! I hatched out 10 Silkies and they are all BOYS!![​IMG] Well, except for what we think of Perdue. I am hoping we can keep perdue. They are all sweet but we can't keep roos here and I really just want the eggs. Its just my luck. We had them in a large cage up til now and even as far as 10 weeks old, all the males were doing their little fights etc. Perdue and Clucky stayed clear from all the chaos. I separated them because I didn't want anyone to get hurt. But now I see Clucky seems to bother Perdue. So thanks for all the guesses. I will hold on to Perdue.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by