Another Hatch Gone Bad

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Langshan Man, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Langshan Man

Langshan Man Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    hatched 5 out of 80 eggs, 73 of them should have because when opened it looked like it was a day or so from it, what as waste, i have a GQF incubator and hatcher, have been at this for years , in the past i have had almost 95 % hatch last couple of years it has been tough, last year almost 95% hatch on cornish and the others 40% or less , this year is not looking good, i wonder is working with the same bloodline year after year you just lose some of the vigor, or just the old some years are better than others.

2. Langshan Man

Jan 25, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    OK no help, could it be that the heat at 99.5 might be to high at hatch time??????????????

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

No..have you recalibrated or tested your thermometer and hygrometers? Those do need tweaking from time to time? Sorry your hatch went so bad...

4. Langshan Man

Jan 25, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    Had the thermometer checked by a guy in our HVAC dept, spot on , humidity at 58%

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

If you are working with same bloodlines that you have for years..genetic drift can happen..Your once super strong birds can weaken over time...I believe its best to throw new bloodlines in from time to time to keep your genetics strong and hardy...IM Humble O... Personally..Ive always hatched at lockdown around 65-70% the furst 18 days 40% +\- a few...was your humidity that high the whole time?

6. Langshan Man

Jan 25, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    here in Oklahoma we use a dry hatch,for the frist 18 days we have plenty of humidity, and only bring it up in the hatcher, but i was wondering if we had lost it in the bloodline, my langshans and black oe's have not had any new blood in 7 years now.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

Can you get some new eggs to hatch that arent yours to have another go at hatching? Testing your bator and adding new bloodlines with the chicks at the same time? You check all 80 eggs and all 80 eggs had live chicks in them? Your rosters are still doing their jobs with that many eggs that made it to lockdown..you checked All the eggs before tossing or jst a few?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by