another Hawk attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ga_goat, Nov 13, 2010.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I had put carpet tack strip on all the fence posts and some close by tree limbs but at 3:00 this afternoon I was filling feeders and checking waterers and a hawk swooped down in the adjoining pen and got a pullett , I was working , moving around and not hiding, and the darn thing got a chicken not 12 feet awat from me . I yelled at it and it made no difference , as I left the pen I was in and started to walk around to the gate of the pen it was in , it just flew away with the chicken about a ½ grown one .

2. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I am having hawk issues also. I did not have them all the while I had my crows that I had raised and the crows left because I stopped calling them to come. Then the hawk started coming aorund again. I told my husband I was going to call to the crows and he said they are gone too long this time, but i called and the 3 of the 4 I had raised were there in about 5 minutes! No hawks around since! I guess instead of discouraging the crows to be dependant on me for food I should welcome them and keep them well fed!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I had a hawk attack this afternoon as well. Fortunately all my chickens made it to cover. I ran outside just in time to see the hawk flying away across the neighbors yard. Sorry for your loss ga_goat.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Do you have a mature full-size rooster or two in pen where pullet was taken?

5. ga_goat

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I half grown chicken is hardly a loss , dogs got 3 of my boer goats Mon nite 2 were due to deliver in Dec and my billy .
    I spent an hour or so doing mainentence on the orange and green builders twine that I have criss crossing the pens so there would no hole to fly into or out of , used to be that way but I let it get in bad shape , my bad .

6. ga_goat

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Quote:2 grown RIR roos in the pen and 23 (strike that) 22 hens pen is 50 x 50 with colored builders twine criss crossing at the top of the fence and to 4 10 ft 4x4 posts set out in the pen , I had let the twine get in bad shape , fixed it today ,,,,,too late .

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    What did the slacker RIR do when hawked attacked and subdued pullet?

8. ga_goat

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Ran to the opposite side of the pen and started calling the chickens to them ,, come to think of it not very protective at all .

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Mine tend to do same if feathers are green / in blood or not papa of some chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by