another hawk/falcon question

farmerKEN

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Western Mass
I heard my hens screaming the loudest I've heard them and wings flapping. Then a falcon/hawk flew off empty handed (clawed). Im almost positive it was a falcon. But anyways all my chickens are fine. But my question is after a failed attempt will the bird try again or learn to pick on something smaller than it?

It will probably try again. To you it was a failed attempt, to the hawk it was an "Almost got it!" What I would do is keep the chickens penned up in a safe roofed enclosure for at least a week. The hawk will most likely give up when the chickens are not out, and move on in that time. A lot of the large birds of prey are migrating right now, which is why a lot of people are having problems with the raptors eating thier chickens. The raptors are tired and on thier way somewhere, and a bunch of chickens sitting around is like a McDonald's on the side of the highway to us. Even if the hawk is a local bird, making the chickens unavailible for a time will probably get him to stop cruising by your place as much. After that if you continue to have problems, I would just get a net for the top of the poultry run.

Somewhere I saw a post about hanging up used CDs and other reflective stuff to act as a deterrent for hawks. That might be something to read up on.

I am sure this is unhelpful and will annoy someone, but I just thought some might like to know:

Over the last few days I have seen a LOT of posts on hawks that state "must have been, i think it was, etc" a "falcon". Hawklike raptors come in 3 types... Accipitors (which are streamlined birds that eat other birds, often catching them in midflight) these are your Cooper's hawks and such which LOVE seeing chicken on the menu, buteos (chunkier birds that eat mostly ground dwelling critters) like the Redtail and will only rarely decide to dine on your coop dwellers, and true falcons which are the Peregrine, kestral (which your chickens could eat! LOL), and Merlin being common in US. If anyone has a true falcon preying on their birds... they should admire it... then call to have it removed or relocated.

As was stated in another thread... most Falconry associations can be contacted about a raptor of ANY sort (hawk, owl, whatever) and will relocate or trap birds that are decimating your flock. If the birds are just passing though... they may have some good ideas on making the "guests" unwelcome. And if you need to cull some stragly bantam roosters that are not worth plucking for dinner... they can become your best friend for a decent trade!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom