Another Hawk!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FrChuckW, Apr 8, 2009.

1. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Last summer we had a big red tailed hawk hanging around or neighborhood. Someone snuck into my backyard and let my fantails out. Well it tried to get them, but they managed to elude it and all but one returned. The one that was missing suddenly dove down from the tree and got under the canopy with me.

This hawk was really brazen. It was sitting on a fence post by my neighbors yard and stood it's ground until I was within 5 feet of it before it flew off. Well with the tree damage from last October and then in February, most of it's perching sites are now gone.

Figured no more hawk this year, right? WRONG!! I was washing up some dishes in the kitchen looking out the window when I noticed these fluffy white things floating down from the sky. At first I thought there was a fire somewhere and it was ashes. So I went out to investigate and discovered they were actually feathers. Did a quick check of the gang, everybody was accounted for. So I looked around and in the remains of my neighbors tree there it was! Guess it had caught either a pigeon or a dove and decided to eat it there. I sure am glad I have the runs covered!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] i bet you'll see more of him as the weather warms up also..[​IMG]

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    The hawks around here are friendlier than some of my hens:D

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    When it became illegal to dispatch them, birds of prey lost their fear of man.
    Now they can do as they please, and you can only attempt to intervene.

Raptors - 1
    Chickens - 0

5. mrslein

mrslein Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2009
    I am having the same problems. Only wants my chickens. Stays away from my guineas. Is there any way to keep it away?

6. hippie

hippie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    N.E. missouri
    i have bigger problems with coopers hawks. they come out of nowhere and grab and run. they don't care if i'm standing five feet away.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Some very effective ways, actually. Most of which we cannot discuss here.

8. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    who said it is illegal to dispatch of them?

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:everyone and their mother on here... [​IMG] and sometimes i think its a shame..because they dont seem to be endangered around my house....BUT..then i see them and think how beautiful they are... [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  10. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    unless i just misread the law, you have the right to protect your self and personal property, livestock and estste,

now i belive you must use dispatching he animal as a last resort but it is legal, need to contact fish and wildlife first

i also see bird of prey doing more good then harm and have never had to shoot one, and we have a million of owls hawks etc
    a gun doesnt replace a good coop and run

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by