another hen died need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchickiemom48, Oct 27, 2014.

1. newchickiemom48

newchickiemom48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    I just had another hen die within a week and a half of the first one. The first one sounded like egg binding after doing some research and the second one was between 5&6 years old so it may have just been old age, but the timing of the deaths have me concerned. All other chickens are acting normally right now. How do you test and treat for disease in chickens? Are my eggs unsafe? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sounds like possible coincidence. Did either have symptoms?
    Avian vets with poultry experience (very rare) would be for testing a bird with symptoms. Otherwise, sending a recently dead or dying bird to your state's diagnostic lab for a necropsy is the way to go and I'd find out that information in advance so if you lose another, you won't have to do the research.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your losses. If you live in the US you should check into having a necropsy done by your State lab.

-Kathy

4. newchickiemom48

newchickiemom48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Thank you everyone. Will check into diagnostics. Should I discard my eggs for a period of time while I monitor my flock?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No need to discard the eggs.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by