Another hen or roo question?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lurky, Jun 22, 2007.

1. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have these 2 ameraucanas i got together ....they were hatched together. I am suspicious that the one with the redder comb is a rooster. I have 2 wyondottes that have combs growing at different rates but what is worrying me about the ameraucanas is that they dont really grow much of a comb to begin with. So if anyone has any ameraucana roo's for comparison i would appreciate any input. These are about 10 weeks old. top 2 are 'him'? last one is her. What do you think? If its a roo, I think he is going to be so beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sure, these are 9 week old Blue Ameraucana cockerels and the last one is one of my Blue pullets:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  3. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    WOW.....those are WAY bigger than mine. I wonder if mine are bantams or just not so big. So what do you think about mine compared to eachother and to yours?

4. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Here is one more to try to see.

[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

You know, I really don't know. These particular ones are from some show stock in California. Their sire is a rooster owned by my friend, but she got him from a place called Cree Farms and bred him with one of her blue hens she got from a breeder. Yours are probably Easter Eggers rather than the Ameraucana breed, so maybe there's a size difference because of that. I've never heard it addressed as to the size of the true breed vs the EEs sold my most hatcheries. Did you get them from a hatchery or somewhere else? And I couldn't say if they were bantams or not-hard to tell in the pics with nothing for perspective. Could be. Sorry I can't be more help! It does look like you may have one rooster, but I'm new to this breed myself this year so certainly don't take what I say about that as gospel, LOL. They should be interesting colors for sure.

6. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    These two came from a poultry farmer that tried to tell me they were 'pure araucanas' not like the EE's you get from the feed store. I really did not care........I would have loved EE's. But one of the feed stores told me he gets his birds from them....LOL.....I am not supposed to have a rooster where i live. If it turn out it is, he stays....i love him.

7. speckledhen

I admit, I wanted to keep one of these blue cockerels for my two pullets, but I had no plans to breed Ameraucanas and no extra pen to separate them since my extra pen was taken up by the Blue Orps I'm breeding. He and his blue and black brothers are for sale right now in BST, but I adore these guys! What personality! I like my roosters.

8. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I just wanted to refresh this post in hopes of a few more opinions. Anyone?????? Come on there has to be a few more experienced chicky people with opinions around here!!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    I am definatly no expert, but that chicken has a definate hen look about it. Plus, I've heard you can tell by the comb. If it has 3 rows of bumps it's a roo, and if only one it's a hen.

Good luck. It will be a beautiful bird no matter what!

Chrystal in AZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by