1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

another hen sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mama dixie, Dec 13, 2011.

1. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    we had a chicken with a eye infection so I thought..well we had to put her down tried tylan and it did not work. it was my first time using it. now our beloved rounder a huge buff Cochin is acting funny. she is not social as she usually is. she stays in the corner of the coop and wont even come out to free range. we are taking a poo sample in to get it checked and hope they will give us a good med for her. my other hen just got thinner and thinner and she kept doing this weird thing with her neck some thought it was wry neck but it was different then what I saw on the wry neck video. I will let you know what the bird vet says.

I so hope they all dont get sick...

2. h.woods54

h.woods54 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    I hope your chicken gets better! That's definitively not a good sign! How old are they (or the one that started acting strange)?

3. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Rounder the large buff cocohin is about a year to a year and a half... she is just not her self. she has lots of pastie poo stuck to her rear. they all seem to have that. I noticed it with my barred rock then the others stared having it, the barred rock is fine and has gotten rid of the poo stuff stuck to her bum but I just wonder what causes that. I have heard it is a intestinal thing when they have that... I put rounder in a cage with food and water under a heat lamp. I so hope she gets better she is one of our favorites. she is just so not herself..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by