1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another homade bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DRAGGINZUZU, Jan 27, 2011.

1. DRAGGINZUZU

DRAGGINZUZU Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Hey guys in in the middle of building another bator. Im using an old evian water cooler. Im still fuzzy on the motor to turn the trays. Im wanting to use a motor I got off of a pair of xmas yard decoration. I think it was two dolphins dancing .. anyways I need some ideas on how to slow down the motor? Maybe a big gear drive??? And another question can I wire 2 computer fans to run off one 12v powers supply? maybe both series or paralell?

[​IMG]

2. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    regarding fans, just check the amps on the DC transformer compared to the amps on the PC fan. And don't wire it in series. Splice the wires instead. Hope that makes sense.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

4. DRAGGINZUZU

DRAGGINZUZU Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Cowboy Ive looked at your site so many times , and I just dont get it. I think its the fact it looks like two eyes looking at me. You use 2 motors? 2 switches? and if I wire the two fans just do them in together not in series . + to + and - to - as long as the 12v transformer has enough amps? Thanks guys

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    You can safely hook 2 fans to one power supply. Just connect them both to the same location. Fans draw very little current & it wont be an issue.

6. rebelcowboysnb

I really dont know if I can explain it any better. Yes both motors have the same cams an two position switchs. One motor is a big one an one is a slow one like on little turners or it can be a clock.

Or replace the slow motor with a light timer, power plug an a 2 position relay.

Or use a light timer an power plug to power a car power antenna.

+ to + and - to -

[​IMG]
    Just feel an make sure your power plug is not getting to hot.​

7. Rock-n-Roo

Rock-n-Roo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    North Willamette Valley
    Regarding Turning:

I started building a Bator myself and found a damper actuator motor for turning. They are used for opening and closing air duct dampers and are typically 24v. You can see them on Ebay. I found a spring return set up - you put power to it it rotates one direction. Take the power off and it rotates back.

I haven't seen these used before but they are very reliable and you can find them for under $20.

8. rebelcowboysnb

How fast does that work an how strong?

9. Rock-n-Roo

Rock-n-Roo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    North Willamette Valley
    They turn at different rates. I think the one I've got coming turns 90deg powered in 120 sec and 30 sec spring return. So it would be very gentle. I don't remember the in/lb of force but you can't stop one with your hand. When mine shows up I'll get more details.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by