1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another Home-made coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Barnrat, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Barnrat

Barnrat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My brother helped me make this coop and run for my 6 hens. The run, made from found material (except the hardware cloth) is 8x8 and the coop is 8x4 and made from exterior plywood and 2x4s for the frame. The roofing was leftover from siding the barn. The coop is not insulated, but the girls survived a very, very cold winter in upstate NY without a problem. I screwed sheets of plexiglass along the sides of the run to block the wind; that worked well.

[​IMG]

This is my first time attempting the picture upload so I hope it works. I did read the instructions, but hey, sometimes I don't get the tech stuff first time around....

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Very nice coop and run [​IMG]

3. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    nice looking coop, do you have any photos of the inside?

4. Barnrat

Barnrat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Not yet; I plan to take more pics of the front and inside this week. The roost runs the length of the coop and there's a people door in the front with a window covered in hardware cloth. All of the vents and windows have covers so I can adjust the airflow in cold, wet, windy weather. The roof also overhangs enough to help block the rain from the vents. I'm happy with it![​IMG]

5. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Looks Good! [​IMG]

6. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Wow!!! Great job. [​IMG]

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps