Another homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redneck, Jun 28, 2007.

1. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    One of the ladies who brought me some eggs for my bator said she would like one also. Here is a couple of pics of what I put together. Still needs the vents and Hygrometer. I installed the water heater thermostat in a 2x4 electrical box, mounted a fan above it and the heat source just above the fan. I used a Styrofoam ice chest for the container.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    cool

3. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Nice pics! Looks like a simple setup. I might even be able to make that! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Question: Doesn't the water heater thermostat cycle only every five degrees? If so, that may be a problem since it wont turn off the heat soon enough to keep the eggs from getting too warm. I may be wrong on that, just asking. OR maybe there's another type that has less of a range. I can't remember-didn't you hatch some in your other bator already? Did it have that type of thermostat?
    So many people have made their own bators with styrofoam coolers. We found one on the side of the road in perfect condition and DH was thinking about taking the guts out of my wooden MegaBator he made and putting them in it, but I wouldn't let him fool with success, LOL. Still, we may make one from styro ourselves some day.

5. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    I did hatch some in my worm box incubator. That is the same thermostat that was in my worm box. I have since built another one using a Kool-A- Tron ice chest. I had real stable temps. Anywhere from 99.1-99.8. Always stayed around 99.5. More times than I can count it stayed at 99.5. I was real happy with it. I have built one for an elderly lady and she is on her 5 hatch with it. As a matter of fact it is this one. I call her "moma". She is supplying the whole neighborhood with baby chickens.
    Here is the link to my latest bator https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16124

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by