Another horrific dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jjandm, Apr 4, 2017.

1. jjandm

jjandm Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    Hello everyone -

I don't know that this is the right place to post this, but I am so heartbroken and thought you guys may be the only ones to understand how I feel. Yesterday morning I heard a lot of commotion with the local chickens (we are in Hawaii), but that happens all the time between kids, cats, and dogs chasing them. We have a favorite rooster who has become pretty much our pet, and I heard him crow, as usual. I also heard him make the noise that he usually makes when the hens get scared. Then I heard a long, painful scream, that I had never heard of before. I also heard a kid scream, a big dog bark, and a lady saying 'drop it, you don't do that.'' My daughter went outside and thought she heard a kid say 'I think it's dead.' We couldn't find anyone or anything, but we did find a horrific amount of feathers, and I can tell they are the feathers of my beloved rooster. My neighbor said her husband saw him walking by after all the commotion in pretty shape, but walking nonetheless. I haven't seen him since, and I am afraid he either got confused or told me this just to give me some hope. Many kids here walk their dogs when they are clearly incapable of controlling them, and many, including adults, actually unleash their dogs to attack the chickens (many chicken haters in our community). I am afraid that the woman may have just scooped him up and put him in a trash can, just like you would do with garbage. My friend's husband said he may be sleeping off the injuries, but I have a bad feeling he has not made it. He was such a gentle soul. He was not like the other roosters, he would always let the little ones and the females eat first, he was kind and sweet. He would always run to me and jump on the hood of our car, then he would jump on the roof and look down inside the car. He would let me pick him up and once I even blow dried him because he was soaking wet. He was a gentle soul and I miss him terribly. I know that many think he was just a chicken, but for me he was a friend who I cared about. Although I don't think I'll ever see him again, I still hold out a little hope that he is somewhere trying to heal. But the amount of feathers was really horrific...

Thank you for reading and understanding my pain.

2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Sorry for your loss. Maybe you can find another rooster with the same great personality!

3. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    Lots of love and hugs for you, I am so sorry.

4. jjandm

jjandm Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    *****AMAZING UPDATE*****

My neighbor found my beloved rooster in the yard of an empty home!!!!! When I went to see him he didn't move or talk, and I couldn't tell how injured he was. I petted him a few times and he didn't seem to mind. I offered food and water, but he didn't take any. I decided to try to lift him, so that I could take him to my yard. He let me do that and didn't seem to hurt or be uncomfortable, although he was shaking a bit. When I took him to my yard, where I have three teenage chicklets who spend the night, he perked up quite a bit and voraciously ate the bread I had in my hand. He seemed to really enjoy being there, as well as having company (ours and the teens'). I left plenty of water for him to drink. He tried to hop up on a chair, but he can't fly well. I inspected his body and found many feathers missing - he has two major bald patches on his lower neck and on one of this legs, but I didn't see any major injuries. This morning he even crowed a few times, although his voice is not the same yet. I cannot put into words how overjoyed I am. This was truly a gift from above. :). He seems to be able to move around quite well, but I can tell he is very traumatized and needs rest. He wasn't very hungry this morning at all, but I propped him up on a chair and he is now resting. I hope he will stay in my yard for a bit longer to recover fully. Question: will his feathers eventually grow back?

Thank you all for your kind words of confort and support. I wanted to share my joy with all of you!

5. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    So happy for you that you found him!! I'm sure he'll get well soon! Yes, his feathers will grow back. We had a chicken that lost half of its feathers and she grew them back in a couple of months.

6. shearches

shearches Just Hatched

Feb 27, 2017
    Commerce, Georgia
    Lots of attention and treats;) and he'll perk up!

7. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    How is your rooster? Hope he's well!

8. jjandm

jjandm Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    Thank you all so much for your kind posts!

Leah567 - Thank you for asking about him! He is doing so much better! He is currently recouping in my backyard, and he seems to be overall in good health. I bought him some chicken feed from a local hatchery - a three item scratch feed and some feed that's supposed to be have lots of vitamins and minerals. He still can't fly well, but I'm hoping that will get better with time. The major problem right now is another rooster that seems to be on a mission to hurt mine. He is younger and used to be afraid of mine, since this is not his territory. However, now that he figured out that mine is hurt, he has been crowing left and right claiming this territory as his, and he climbs over my fence and terrorizes my poor baby. I can't fence it in, so my rooster tries to hide wherever he can. He even came inside the house and quickly hid next to my couch, which was the most adorable thing. I'm hoping he will gain his strength back, so that he can kick the mean rooster's butt.

I'm attaching a few pictures of him. :)[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Thank you again for your kind words!

9. jjandm

jjandm Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jjandm

jjandm Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by