Another housing question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jarhead, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I got one of those light bulb moments when I was out in the garden this morning. Our garden it totally enclosed by hardware cloth with a door on it to prevent pesky wild birds and critters (not to mention our chickens) out of it. The garden itself consists of raised beds that are 30" off the ground at the top. The floor is pea gravel. We are basically talking a large outside room that is sealed from animals. It is about 1000 sqft. I was thinking it would be a nice little room for the few quail we are wanting to keep. I could build a small shelter for them in the corner that they could sleep in and they could have the run of the garden the rest of the day. Do you think this would work well?

2. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    sounds like a great place. bet they will be happy in that big of a run

3. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    You didn't mention any wire roof over the garden . Quail have the habit of UP UP and AWAY !!!

4. Jarhead

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    You didn't mention any wire roof over the garden . Quail have the habit of UP UP and AWAY !!!

Completely covered and enclosed with wire to prevent wild birds from eating our tomatoes! [​IMG]

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    A Double Door Entry Will Be Handy To Keep The Lil Boogers Confined To Your Avairy, Otherwise It Does Sound Quite Nice--- And It Sounds Like You Need More Quail!!! Lol

6. Jarhead

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Double door is good idea, I may try to hang those long heavy plastic strips and see how that works. I don't want too many in there, then the veggies might take a serious hit [​IMG] I thought with just a handful they will eat pesky bugs and such without being too many too eat a bunch of veggies.

7. Kullas

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    ya said ya had about a 1000 SF that meens ya can get about 900 more. Mmmm that would make a good quail dinner for 5 or 6 people MMmMmmm

8. Jarhead

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    ya said ya had about a 1000 SF that meens ya can get about 900 more. Mmmm that would make a good quail dinner for 5 or 6 people MMmMmmm

That's about how I like to eat (my wife doesn't like me too)!!! Maybe fire up the big turkey fryer dust their little whole plucked carcasses in flour and toss em in hot sauce when they come out of the fryer. Drink lots of beer. [​IMG] A Hotwing style quail party in the backyard! Sounds like a plan [​IMG]

9. Kullas

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by