Another "How Many Can I Fit" Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hokankai, Jul 15, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I've started a bantam coop this spring, and currently have 2 mille fleur d'uccles, 1 silkie (roo, probably), 1 sizzle, and 2 cochins that will be staying. I'm considering adding a few more silkies because my other one (who I suspected was a pullet) was killed by a hawk.

Our coop is going to be based off of a 4'x4' dog house. The run is going to be covered and as big as we can manage, but will probably end up somewhere around 6x16.

How many bantams can I comfortably fit in this space?

2. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Suggested space for healthy standard size chickens that you are planning to keep is 4 sq. feet per chicken. For bantams it would be less, say 3 sq. feet per chicken. Your space is 4' x 4' which is 16 square feet, so you should have space for five bantam sized chickens. More space per chicken is better than less. Your run space is plenty big, so no problem there. Personally I would not keep more than five chicks unless I upsized the coop.

3. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

4. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Ok so now I'm confused, haha. Do I have too many chickens for my setup?

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Not at all, you'll be fine with 6 chickens. What kind of weather do you get in the winter?

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Fact of the matter is, you're going to hear a LOT of different opinions when it comes to adequate sizes for coops. Some folks view chickens similarly to factory chicken mentality, while others view them as pets (and everywhere in between). Some folks get nice weather year round, and can get by with smaller indoor space, while others get snow/ice/cold winters, and need more indoor space (at least for winter time). Some birds weigh 2 lbs, while others weigh 8 lbs. Some birds are very active (many bantams are), while others are quite calm and can make do in less space. There are SO many variables!!
    I get winters here, not bad winters, but we do get weather that restricts my birds for a few days at a time generally. Even with more than the recommended space, my girls have gotten grumpy/testy with one another over the past two winters. So I firmly believe that more space is ALWAYS better (based solely on the observation of my birds' behaviors). My bantam coop has about 18 sq. ft of indoor space. When I built it, I'd planned for it to house up to 4 bantams (it currently houses 3, a d'uccle and 2 silkies). I may or may not add another. The silkies are really easy going birds...they seem to handle smaller spaces fairly well. But my d'uccle is a mover and a shaker [​IMG]
    Other than your d'uccle, your breeds are fairly sedate (not sure on the sizzle), so I think you'll be okay, but I wouldn't add any birds, at least not until you've made it through a winter season without picking/bullying going on...

7. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Why do people who have snow/ice/cold winters need larger coops? This makes no sense. Don't you keep your runs clear of snow and offer wind breaks?

[​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Why do people who have snow/ice/cold winters need larger coops? This makes no sense. Don't you keep your runs clear of snow and offer wind breaks?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/90607_snowblower.jpg

I don't think THAT machine would even FIT inside my big run...lol!! I have spent the past two winters shoveling a small area of my run clear, but I'm no spring chicken and my back just isn't in it [​IMG] We did just roof a section of our big run, so I'm sure this winter will go a lot more smoothly [​IMG]

9. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I'm in the Pacific NW so our weather is temperate. It's WET more than anything, haha. Hottest temps are maaaaybe 95 degrees, and the coldest nighttime temps are in the teens and snow is pretty rare (but it does get icy). My standard sized girls had no qualms playing outside in winter and they've never needed to stay inside. They do stay in the coop when it's raining, but that will change once we add a roof to the run [​IMG]

Alright, thanks! I think I'll stick with what I have ^_^

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  10. cpwhip

cpwhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    Quote:great link! thank you:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by