another 'how much feed' question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by birdsss, Dec 9, 2012.

1. birdsss

birdsss Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2012
    Sardis Arkansas
    hello. im debating on raising a couple groups of meat birds this spring in a separate area from my layer flock. i plan on keeing them in a large pen and feeding twice per day, not free choice feed. so aproximately how much feed should one cornishx eat per day?, basically...
    can anyone please give an estimate on approx how many pounds of feed it would take to grow about two dozen cornish cross to butcher age?

i havent ever raised a flock just for meat before so im tryin to figure out the basics

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. JohnBerry

JohnBerry Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2011
    Sabattus, Maine
    I was curious about this also and found this Quote in Wikipedia: "In the U.S. in 2011, the average feed conversion efficiency of a broiler was 1.91 pounds of feed per pound of liveweight. In 1925 the figure was 4.70". So, If you are growing them to 5lbs you would use 9.55lbs.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    12-14 pounds is a more realistic goal. And a lot more feed than that if the sparrows or mice can get to your feeders.

You will have to adjust the amount of feed upward nearly every day. You need enough feeder space so all birds can get in there and eat. Feed what they will clean up in 20-30 minutes. If the feed is gone before then, add a little more the next feeding. If there is feed left over, reduce the amount the next day.

They grow so fast and feed intake amount goes up so fast, there is no way to know a set amount. their intake varies a bit with the weather, too. if it is really cold, they need more.

They will utilize their feed better if it is soaked or if you add some yogurt to their diet. Soaking makes it more digestible and yogurt stops the intestinal problem that shoots food through them too fast.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  4. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    In my experience, you will feed them some where around 300 lbs of feed.

5. meganblythe

meganblythe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    Alabama
  6. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    My last batch of cornishx i had 65 cents of feed per lb of dressed meat. I was happy with that. I did limit feed and fed a 18% protein feed the whole time.they didn't grow as fast but they sure tasted good.Not much wasted fat on the carcass. I didn't lose any.

7. birdsss

birdsss Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2012
    Sardis Arkansas
    thanks folks for the good information. i'll let you all know how it goes, and keep numbers and post 'em here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by