Another humidity post

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mommysongbird, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    My temp is 100 degrees but the humidity is only 34%, we are in our 3rd and 4th days of incubation. I added warm water (nearly dry) but the humidity has not really changed, the temp was at 102 just before I added water, not sure why it went up.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Temp goes up when you add things (including eggs, usually) to get the added item to the same temp as everything else. At least that's what I think.

Did you check the accuracy of your hygrometer? If not, it could simply be off. I have a cheap electronic thing that is a full 15 degrees off.

But if it really is 34% it should be at least a bit higher. Your eggs are fine and will probably be fine at 34% but yeah, I'd try to raise it about 10 degrees.

You check the accuracy of the hygrometer with salt and a plastic bag. Get a large zip lock or some sort of plastic bag that you can seal air tight. Put some salt in a bowl (doesn't really matter how much, I'd say about 1/4 cup) and add enough water just to make it like wet sand. Put the hygrometer in there with the salt and wait at least 8 hours, and if you wait longer, even 24, it's ok.

Check the reading. It should say 75%. If it doesn't, then just add or subtract to the reading to get the correct humidity. For instance, if it says 70%, then add 5 to the reading whenever you check it. If it says 85, then subtract 10 when you check it. So if it's off by 10, and says 34%, then your humidity is really 44%.

3. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    The one I have is an Acurite from Wal-Mart in the home section (where all the lights and thermometers are). I was going to get one from the pet store, the round ones that look like a compass but the only one they had was broken. [​IMG]

Does the water need to be cold/warm/hot???

Oh, this one is battery operated, so that might be a problem??

4. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Check the accuracy of it. You can take it out and do it now before adding any water, nothing will be hurt by leaving it another 8 hrs or so the way it is.

No, battery operated is no problem. You are not submerging it. Mine is battery operated, too. You don't need to put the hygrometer IN the wet salt, just in the bag.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  5. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I thought the humidity in the bator might cause problems in the battery area.

6. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It hasn't with mine. I think they are somewhat moisture proof in the battery area. It would be kind of silly to make something that measures humidity able to be affected by said humidity but I can see some company doing that. But as I said, mine is a cheap one and isn't affected.

Edit : Grats on the home schooling. My grandkids are being home schooled, and I really wish it had been available when my own were little.

7. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Thanks

Yeah, I wish I would have homeschooled my older kids, well I did homeschool my daughter from 8th grade to graduation, but I wish I would have done it for all their years. If I knew then what I know now, I deffinately would have homeschooled. I didn't even realize that homeschooling was an option. My oldest was born in 86 and homeschooling has been and option way before the 80's.

8. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    As I recall, it was an option when mine were little but the parents had to jump through a lot of hoops to qualify. And I didn't realize then what a huge difference it would make so I didn't even try. If only.

PS: after you check the accuracy of the thing, if you need to add water in there lukewarm is probably best. And be prepared for the humidity to spike temporarily after you add it.

9. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Thanks for the humidity help, I hope this thing is pretty accurate, if so I am going to buy another one for our house, I would LOVE to know what the real temp in here is. [​IMG]

10. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Some people FULLY believe in a "Dry " hatch where the keep the humidity lower till lockdown and do jsut fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by