Another Hurt Black Swedish Duckling!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BjsBestGirl, May 16, 2010.

1. BjsBestGirl

BjsBestGirl Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    1832 MC 4008
    My 2.5 week old black Spanish is hurt. it was fine this morning, but now it keeps rolling over onto its back. It's legs are not hurt cause it can walk backwards; quite well actually. But it keeps flipping over. What do you think it could be?

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. roocrazy

roocrazy Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i think you should put this topic in the emergency categorie youll get more answers because black spanish is a chicken and this is the duck section [​IMG]

im not sure what is wrong with your chick maybe the experts could give better advice; how old is it if its new he might just b getting used to his new long legs [​IMG]

and no im not saying the chick is a boy [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ~RoO~

Edited to add: sorry i didnt see that it was 2 and a half weeks
    well sorry it beats me [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I had a duckling last year that kept flipping over. The cause with mine was a thiamine deficinecy- But it can be caused by other things as well.

4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Not really sure what to do, but just to clear things up, I think she is referring to a black swedish duck....

5. BjsBestGirl

BjsBestGirl Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    1832 MC 4008
    yes, black swedish, sorry. i always get it wrong. but either way, he died lastnight. i tried to get him to eat, but he wouldnt. he would drink a little, but apparently pampering him didnt help; he died anyways. But thank you all for your help!

christine

6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    Oh I am so sorry!! That is awful.[​IMG]

7. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    So sorry to hear that...I wish we could have figured out what was wrong [​IMG]

8. BjsBestGirl

BjsBestGirl Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    1832 MC 4008
    i thought he would be fine. he was fine when we fed him, but 2 hours later when i went outside, it was being trampled. i dont think it was from being walked on. he isnt usually too kind to people holding him, but he enjoyed it. thats when i should have known something was seriousely wrong; when he wanted to be held. i held im all night. i fed (or tried to rather) from my lap, and gave him water from a spoon. i was there for him every time he flipped over. i was so tired though, i had to go to bed. i bunched up a towel around him and put him in a box; so he couldnt flip over or run away (if he could). when i woke up this morning, he was on his side and freezing cold. it was them i realized why he was so cold; he was dead. it is sad. i wish he didnt die, but everything has a purpose; i suppose.

9. BjsBestGirl

BjsBestGirl Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    1832 MC 4008
    I have another hurt Black Swedish baby. All the same symoptoms! PLEASE HELP!

10. We had the same or a similar problem with one of our Pekins the other night. We held her and gave her droppers full of water with electrolytes in it. Then put her in a separate brooder with towels around her to keep her upright. Within a few hours she was back on her feet yelling for her siblings. It must have been some sort of electrolyte imbalance for ours - we gave all the ducks electrolytes in their water the next day. I hope you figureo out what is wrong with yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by