Another INJURY!!!!! ADVICE PLEASE****

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Half-a-dozen, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Hi everyone-

getting very frustrated here! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have two birds injured........first one that is pecking at it's back and now it is raw no feathers just a bare spot.....

Then I just went out to the coop and there was a hobbling girl.
    Somehow must have injured her foot it is swollen she will not stand or walk on it. It has a large black SCAB???? on it.
    I am not sure what that is. Is that what it looks like when chickens are healing????
    Do they get black scabs????

Any help would be greatly appreciated..from anyone as I am becoming very frustrated.

What do you do with skin injuries on chickens do they usually heal right up????

PLEASE HELP [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Your black scab is bumblefoot. Please refer to this thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19910
    You can try spraying the bare spot with BluKote from the feedstore. It's antiseptic/antibiotic type and watch out, will get on YOU and won't come off till it wears off.

***Edited to add: Is this scab on the bottom of the foot pad? I am so attuned to this bumblefoot thing that I assumed that is what you meant. If so, you have bumblefoot issues; if not, where is it?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Isolate both.

The picker may have mites although there are many reasons for picking.
    Look close to see if you see anything.

I would take a wait and see approach on the scabbed over leg.

Isolate and wait.

Add more details so some of the real experts here (not me) have more to
    go on.

Age?
    Breed?
    Number of birds you have?
    Are any others experiencing issues?
    Diet?
    What type of bedding/ground do they sleep on?
    Do they range or are they cooped?

Don

4. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    HI AGAIN-

THANKS FOR THE PREVIOUSE ADVICE

THESE ARE YOUNG GIRLS, ONE IS A BARRED ROCK (BACK INJURY) AND THE OTHER IS A RED SEXED LINK (LEG INJURY).

THE LEG INJURY IS ON THE TOP OF THE FOOT, NOTE: IT IS NOT UNDER FOOT PAD. LOOKS AS IF SHE GOT IT CAUGHT ON SOMETHING MAYBE?

I SEE NO BUGS, MITES ETC.....

I PUT BLUE KOTE ON BOTH OF THE BIRDS AND ANTI-PECKING BALM ON BOTH INJURIES AS WELL. (NOW I AM PURPLE)-lol

THE ONE (BARRED ROCK) I HAD TO PUT BACK IN THE COOP BECAUSE I CONFINED THE LEG INJURY CHICKEN INSTEAD TO THE CAGE (ONLY HAVE ONE CAGE)

Age- JUST STARTED LAYING SO ABOUT 20 PLUS WEEKS.

Breed- BARRED ROCK AND SEX LINKS ARE THE TWO INJURED

Number of birds you have- 11 CHICKENS ALL TOGETHER.

Are any others experiencing issues- NO

Diet- LAYENA CRUMBLES

What type of bedding/ground do they sleep on- PINE SHAVINGS AND ROOST AT NIGHT.

Do they range or are they cooped- LARGE AREA ALL COVERED TO RANGE AND THEN A SUPER SECURE RUN ATTACHED TO COOP AND CLOSED UP AT NIGHT FOR SAFTEY.

THANKS FOR ANY OTHER HELP HERE [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2007
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ok, as far as the foot injury, she probably did get it caught on something, a stray piece of wire, nail, just anything and it may have gotten bacteria in it. It still would be considered bumblefoot, I believe, especially since she is limping. Sounds like infection has built up in the foot. The same things apply in treating, but it makes it harder to do on that part of the foot.
    As far as I can see, you've done what you can and now you need to observe them for any changes in addition to trying to disinfect and treat the foot wound.

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    It sounds like you are doing everything right.

Give them a couple days and have faith.
    They will be ok.

Keep us posted.

Don

There's nothing wrong with being purple. [​IMG]

7. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    I am sick to my stomach. Cynthia I emailed you (crying) [​IMG]
    I had no idea this could still be bumble foot and had no idea bumble foot was a staph infection.
    I am so worried about the kids and them getting this, is that really possible???- I don't know what to do..... and am getting sick with worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by