Another integration question-feed

PeckingAround

Songster
5 Years
Jun 16, 2016
West Texas
My Coop
My Coop
We have 15 2+ year old hens and 13 3-3.5 month old chicks. The chicks are quickly out growing the intermediate coop, it is not right next to the adult coop. We usually don't have so many chicks so we normally wait until about 5-6 months old before moving them. Our set up is currently intermediate coop is next to the house inside our fence. Adult coop is outside the fence about 60 yards away. I have been letting the chicks out to free range and get out their energy but they are tearing up the garden etc and I have exhausted ways to keep them out. The adult chicks mostly stay out of the yard when ranging, so I don't usually worry about them. I have been leaving the fence gate open so the chicks can explore out and the adults can come check them out. That has been working but not all the adults care to come check them out. It was my way to slowly introduce them on some neutral territory. Just setting up the scene here.

I'm reading that some of you integrate a lot earlier and all the different ways. But I haven't seen what you do about feed. I have been under the impression that chicks under 6 months old shouldn't be on layer feed. From what I understand the added calcium in the layer feed could mess up the chicks egg making parts if eaten too early. How do you integrate the flock but separate the feed, or do you? I'd like to try to introduce the chicks to the adult coop sooner if it's possible. But right now the adult coop is not set up to where we can separate them and allow them separated feeding stations.

I almost always have immature chickens in the flock so I never feed Layer feed. I feed a Starter or Grower, depending on the age f the chicks, and offer oyster shell on the side. The hens that need the calcium for their egg shells seem to know it and eat enough oyster shell. The ones that don't need the extra calcium don't eat enough oyster shell to harm themselves.

The risk is not to the internal egg making factory, it's more of a kidneys and liver risk.

The Starter or Grower contain everything they need to lay eggs except calcium.

I almost always have immature chickens in the flock so I never feed Layer feed. I feed a Starter or Grower, depending on the age f the chicks, and offer oyster shell on the side. The hens that need the calcium for their egg shells seem to know it and eat enough oyster shell. The ones that don't need the extra calcium don't eat enough oyster shell to harm themselves.

The risk is not to the internal egg making factory, it's more of a kidneys and liver risk.

The Starter or Grower contain everything they need to lay eggs except calcium.
Thank you for your help. I knew I would get it wrong when I said egg laying parts. It just didn't sound right but as soon as I read your reply I was like yup that's right lol. Brain lapse.

I will be sharing this with my husband and maybe we can get a solution quickly.

Thank you for your help. We just got all flock feed and added extra feeders. We moved the little girls over to the big coop last night close to sunset and stayed and watched to make sure it went ok. I think having such a large group move over made it go a lot smoother. They are of course still keeping separate in their groups but so far it's still going nicely. The littles are being respectful of the bigs and staying out of the way lol

Attachments

• IMG_20210517_130454625_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210517_130454625_HDR.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210517_125840334_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210517_125840334_HDR.jpg
    921.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210517_125601775.jpg
    IMG_20210517_125601775.jpg
    877.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210517_125710670.jpg
    IMG_20210517_125710670.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 4
I'm reading that some of you integrate a lot earlier and all the different ways. But I haven't seen what you do about feed. I have been under the impression that chicks under 6 months old shouldn't be on layer feed. From what I understand the added calcium in the layer feed could mess up the chicks egg making parts if eaten too early. How do you integrate the flock but separate the feed, or do you?

I bought a bag of all-flock today for when I let the Lavender Splits into the coop with The Ladies next week.

Back
Top Bottom