1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another "Is This Fertilized" Egg Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by uzisuzuki, Dec 15, 2014.

1. uzisuzuki

uzisuzuki Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    I know there are a bunch of these already posted and that each one has that really great picture with the bullseye on the yolks, but I'm still not sure if I'm reading my hens eggs right (right up there with reading runes and tea leaves it feels like). So, this is my first time tending chickens and I have 1 Silver Sebright rooster (unknown age) and 4 Golden Laced Polish hens (between 7-9 months of age). Two of the hens just started laying eggs last week and this is what they looked like:

[​IMG]
    (no photo editing)

[​IMG]
    (some editing on the brightness/contrast)

I thought that I could see a bullseye on the lower one and not the top one, but I'm not at all confident in my assessment because someone who knows more about chickens than me suggested that the top one is the fertile one. I would be most appreciative for more opinions before I decide to buy an incubator and try my hand at hatching. This is more out of curiosity than trying to make money off chicks/fertilized eggs (I honestly didn't think the hens would ever lay eggs because of what I've heard about the breed), so if they're not being fertilized that's okay with me too. :)

Thanks!

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Its actually the top one that looks more bulleyish to me... Some eggs its is obvious and some not so much... I have been doing this for a year, incubating eggs, and sometimes I have a hard time..

3. uzisuzuki

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    Thank you! It is kind of a relief to hear that even year-long pros can have a hard time telling. :)

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My old eyes aren't working well with your photo. I see what looks like a dark clear spot in the top yolk 1/4" from center at 2:00. That doesn't look like an embryo to me. And think I see a white embryo spot on the bottom yolk also at 2:00. The best way I can describe it is that on an unfertile egg, the spot looks like it is sharply defined, smaller, and more angular. In a fertile egg, the spot is flattened, round, larger, often looking like a bull's eye, but not always.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  5. uzisuzuki

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    That's what I needed to know - thank you! :)

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Top one shows a clearer bulls eye to me in the unedited photo...bottom one looks odd, not sure, could be because it's a pullet egg.

Have you perused this thread?
    It shows a plethora of examples of fertile and non-fertile yolks:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

A fertilized blastoderm doesn't always look quite the same, takes some practice/experience......
    .......just keep looking and you'll get the hang of it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  7. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    X2. I do think they are both fertilized though the one is just either off a bit, or the camera is making it look off. Seems your roo is doing his job!

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Unless I'm in a hurry, I make it a point to examine the blastoderm (thanks Aart, for providing the right term.) of every egg I crack. It helps to "practice".

9. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    LOL.. So I am not the only one!!!

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by