Another Ivermectin Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SugaryinMD, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SugaryinMD

SugaryinMD Chirping

Jul 16, 2009
    I have a langshan roo and he has mites and lice (Which I cannot believe and have no idea how he got them...uggh) Well anyhow, he has them. I spent the last two days reading BYC about how to get rid of the lice and mites and I decided to try Ivermectin Pour on for cattle (5mg). I went and bought it at Tractor Supply today and I gave him the .50 cc dosage on his skin between his wings on his neck. I have looked all over the multiple posts on here about Ivermectin and what I want to know is : Will the pour on type also work for worms or do I still have to worm him? Or will the application I put on his neck also work as a wormer as well as kill the lice and mites?

I cannot find a straight answer anywhere on here! Thanks !

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    The ivermectin should also worm him to a degree. Do you know for sure he has worms? If you have any other birds then you will also need to treat them for mites as well as thorougly cleaning out the coop and treating it also. The ivermectin drops need to be repeated in 7-10 days.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend using sevin dust to treat your coop, make sure you dust the nests and roosts as well, repeat in 10 days to kill any nits that have hatched from eggs. I normally recommend using sevin dust for dusting the chickens as well because there are certain types of lice and mites that ivermectin wont kill. The ivermectin will kill the bloodsuckers only, not the lice or mites that feed on skin or feathers. Repeat using the ivermectin in 10 days as Highlander stated.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    From what I've read, pour-on Ivermectin works on some types of worms but not others.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Question? I dont mean to highjack but it is related. I use ivermectin-But I also bought the seven dust. Would it be safe to add the seven dust to a large dusting bucket of DE? Im asking about a safe ratio between the two...Or is it not safe to use like that and just straight out dust the chickens ( making sure me and them don't inhale it)? I havent used it before but bought it "just in case". I have a small tucker tote I fill with DE only-they use it everyday-so I thought hmmmm...can I just put the Seven in there and let them do a better job at it??? thank you~

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I wear a mask when using sevin dust, it is also recommended to wear a mask when using DE. Making a dust bath with sevin or DE could eventually be detrimental for the chickens to breathe IMO. I let my chickens dust wherever they want in the yard without sevin or DE. If I have a lice/mite problem, I put them in a pillow case with sevin dust in it, with their head sticking out the top and "shake and bake." I then put some sevin on my fingers and gently rub it on their neck and head, careful not getting any in their eyes, nostrils and mouth. It's up to the individual how they want to do it.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You are correct. That's why I stopped using it and stick with valbazen and safeguard.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I wear a mask when using sevin dust, it is also recommended to wear a mask when using DE. Making a dust bath with sevin or DE could eventually be detrimental for the chickens to breathe IMO. I let my chickens dust wherever they want in the yard without sevin or DE. If I have a lice/mite problem, I put them in a pillow case with sevin dust in it, with their head sticking out the top and "shake and bake." I then put some sevin on my fingers and gently rub it on their neck and head, careful not getting any in their eyes, nostrils and mouth. It's up to the individual how they want to do it.

The DE dust bucket actually has just a few cups with hay in it-I forgot it was in the bucket until I saw my white turkey rolling all over looking like pigpen! So I add a cup of DE from time to time for them to dust bath in -for the Winter when there isn't dirt to be found:-( I have heard of that shake and bake-lol-which now I will do when and if the time comes. Masks are kept in coop too so Im all good now thank you!

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    so albendazole looks to be the top choice-at least to treat the broad spectrum of worms-Thank you DDAWN and to the OP for posting about this! Where would you buy this? Is it listed under a different name ( like a brand name of some sort?)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: