Another jelly egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginormous chicken, May 19, 2011.

1. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    My EE is laying quite a few jelly eggs! This makes 3 in 2 weeks. I don't know what to do. I feed pellet feed with oyster shell and corn mixed in. It is a local brand, that I feed. However, I started to mix that with Layina due to issues. I also throw oyster shells on the floor for them to peck at. I am noticing my chickens aren't really interested in pellets right now. Esp. this time of the year. There is so much to free range on grass, bugs etc. I am going to cut back on the scratch. I don't feed that much scratch Maybe 3 handfuls a day. (Small handfuls.) Also, I give them treats like carrot tops and beet greens. What am I doing wrong? Please help? Oh, my Maran also laid 1 jelly egg. I had none until 3 weeks ago. I did switch feed three weeks ago. I switched from Purina Layina to a local brand called Bar-ALE. Is that it? Should I go back to Purina? Please help!

Here are pics. of my jelly eggs. Basically, eggs with no shells.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    a lot of people have had this problem this year.. I have 2 hens laying jell eggs. I use purina layana ,with oyster shell, and very few scraps, Vitamin D is supposed to help. I have been giving banana peals. kefir, 2 times a week. trying to up protein as well as other If they are free ranging most of the time you should be OK, I think you are doing every thing OK. Don't know what is happening. have not had this problem in 2 years.

3. ginormous chicken

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Do I feed banana peels chopped into bits? [​IMG] Seems odd, although I do admit chickens will eat just about anything. Reminds me of my yellow lab. [​IMG] Does anyone else have any suggestion? Is it not enough vitamin D or not enough calcium or are they just over producing albumen and yolks without a calcium shell? I am really frustrated, if anyone else has anything to add let me know.

4. ginormous chicken

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    No one???? [​IMG]

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to limit treats to my flock because one has trouble with calcium. She never eats oyster shell either.

So when I give treats, I try to give high-calcium treats.

6. Hensamongus

Hensamongus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, NC
    I have not seen any like this photo but I have had an issue with soft shells. We started feeding the hens a little yogurt. They love the stuff. In fact, the hen in trouble would eat it right out of the spoon as we fed her. I figured a little for all the hens would not be a problem.
    [​IMG]
    This is Lucy getting her dose of yogurt.
    [​IMG]
    This is a few more eating the yogurt in from the treat tray!

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  7. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Since the jelly eggs seem to have started around the same time that you switched feed, I would change feed again and see if that makes a difference. If you come up with a good answer, let me know. One of my EE hens lays eggs kind of like that, paper thin (or thinner) shells or no shells at all, sometimes a thin shelled egg wrapped in some more albumen and another membrane with a few grainy bits that are trying to be a shell. Except hers are more or less every single egg and they've been like that from her very first egg on. I think since she started laying in January she's laid ONE egg that had a completely normal shell, and even that one was on the thin side.

8. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
  9. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
  10. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    not sure if it's the same in chickens, but vitamin D helps facilitate calcium absorption and utilization in humans.

sounds like a plausible idea to me [​IMG] (trying vitamin D, that is) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by