Another Jersey Giant chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by remme, Oct 7, 2013.

1. remme

remme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    The comb looks Pullet but the tail is bothers-some. Especially considering (s)he's only 6-7 weeks old. What do you think? Apolgies for the sh***y Iphone 4 pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    It's hard to say they are so slow growing but yours feathered out very well for the breed some just don't feather out well until they are a bit older. Mine is still young, it will be awhile, are you worried about it being a roo because you can't have a roo? Maybe in a month or two take it too an old school farmer and ask them since they will have the bird in their hands it's easier to see. That's what I do anyways. But good luck very nice looking Jersey Giant.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Those odd tail feathers don't bother me at this age, it is nicely feathered out on the body and legs/body doesn't look real chunky, can't see the comb well, would vote girl so far.

4. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Agree she is petite so girl it is. She is going to have those tail feathers till she fills out maybe about 9months to a year. Remember they are large and super slow growing. Right now it looks like i have a pretty raven in my flock lol.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think she's a pullet. I'm not seeing any roosterish traits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by