Another Leg Injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nh10ring, Oct 9, 2007.

1. nh10ring

nh10ring Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Warren, NH
    We have a 4-year-old Polish hen, whose leg got caught up in some chicken wire, and she was found helplessly dangling upside down. After freeing her, it was quite obvious that her leg was injured. I am thinking it may be some torn tendons rather than a break, but I am unsure. The injury appears to be near where the leg joins the body. Her leg is warm and you can feel throbbing that can not be felt in the good leg. She seems to be able to extend her leg, but can not retract it. She is able to move her claws okay. She can not bear weight on it, and sort of drags her leg behind her when trying to move. We have called 4 local vets, none of whom will see her. I would be tempted to put her down, but she is one of the kids' favorites who they call "Peter Pan." We have seperated her from the other chickens (Barred Rocks), as I feel they may peck her too much being as passive and injured as she is. So, I guess I am looking for suggestions and input as to whether she will make it on one leg or not? Also, if it is torn tendons, is there anything we can do that will help? Any suggestions for care? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Poor girl! Keeping her separated is a good idea to prevent her being picked on and further injured. Probably all you will be able to do for her on your own is keep her quiet and well fed and watch to see how she progresses. It is often difficult, especially in urban areas, to find a vet that will treat a chicken, so you are most likely on your own. Even if you do find one, you have to decide whether the expense is acceptable. See if you can feel whether her tendons are out of place and if so, try to gently massage them back. Hopefully it is an injury that will heal on its own. I have seen some very gimpy birds that do fine, but she may be so seriously crippled that you will have to make a decision regarding her quality of life and how much hand-care you are willing to continue. Im sorry.

Chel

3. nh10ring

nh10ring Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Warren, NH
    Thank you Chel. I appreciate the response. I am pleased to report that our hen is improving. Although I just read Chel's response, we did much of what she recommended over the past couple of days. We seperated her from the others by using an old dog cage we had, and gave her access to food and water. We placed a heat lamp over the cage and gave her reiki treatments. During the first 48 hours, she just sorta lay there with her bad leg sprawed out behind her. She ate some, but not much. I honestly thought that she wouldn't make it. Then this morning, we went out to check on her and she was walking around inside the cage! We couldn't believe it. She has a slight limp, but otherwise, she is getting around fine. I hope others never have a similar experience, but if they do, I say don't give up! Not even if it looks bad. Your chicken may just need time to heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by