Another leg question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hayley3, Oct 5, 2011.

1. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    My daughter found my chicken in one of those hay feeders upside down..and when we put her down she can't walk...she just puts her wing out to balance herself...One leg has some strength so I know it's not both legs...The leg is not swelled but is "limp", so I' m trying to determine if it's broken or not. I put her in a small cage with food and water and will bring her in nightly. I was gonna try to put a stick on it and tape it but I'm not sure if it's broken...She's in no distress, doesn't act like she's in pain but animals are stronger than humans as far as pain goes , so I don't know. So would a limp leg indicate it's broken....It could be further up in the hip area too...I really want to help her if anyone can give me an idea, I would appreciate it!

Cheryl

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks I had already seen that and nothing applied to her. But appreciate you responding. :)

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    It sounds like she may have lost sensation to that leg from lying on it so long, ever have your leg fall asleep? Unfortunately it depends on how long she was on it, to whether or not it will recover fully, check the foot for warmth and color and sensation, (will she attempt to move away from a pointed object like, a bobby pin) move the toes, does she try to grasp and/or move the toes? Is the foot colder than the other? Is it warmer? Is it bruised? If it is broken you may look for a very bruised area, feel with fingertips the length of each bone, up into the thigh, gently move the foot, the leg, the thigh - if it is broken you will feel crepitus(a grinding crunching )- this is very painful, so extra careful!!..I would not splint it unless obviously broken, you may need to reposition the leg/foot in a normal position until she is able to do so for herself, do not let her lie on it in an abnormal position. With time it may get better
    Hope this could help

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    After reading your post, I went and talked to my teenage daughter again who had found her. After talking with her the chicken was not upside down but sitting upright with her breast sticking out of the slats, so she must've fell from the top and landed on her leg crooked. When she flew up she was fine so most likely not a broken leg. We estimate she laid on it for 3 hrs approx. However hard to believe that landing on it wrong could cause that much damage. Thanks sooooo much for thinking of that. It gives me hope that she might get better. [​IMG]

Cheryl

6. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I just wanted to update...I really had given up but was continuing to care for her, putting her outside in a small pen everyday and bringing her in the house at night. At first I had to move her food wherever she rolled to because she could not even sit upright very well. Yesterday I noticed her foot flinched and was faintly curled rather than completely limp. Today she stood on it for a brief moment and that has really given me hope. Honestly I thought I would be doing this the rest of her life. But now I do have hope that she will one day get to be reunited with her sisters. It took her 11 days to show any improvement. I will update again later.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    is it possible she dislocated her hip rather than broke her leg? If so, you need to see if it is still out of socket...and try to put it back. That is what I would suggest. The longer you let it heal if it is out of place, the harder it will be to fix.

8. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    it was determined previously it was due to loss of sensation, and the fact that she seems to be recovering, confirms that theory. [​IMG]

9. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Just wanted to update!

She has regained use of both legs and is back with her sisters! So even though she couldn't even hobble in the beginning, she eventually healed, without any intervention. Although it took her a full month to heal. So never give up on them, sometimes nature heals things on its own. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by