Another LegBand Question...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jmurcks, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    Ok, I want to order leg bands for my bantam cochins.
    I really like the butt-end bands because I prefer their shape over Atals bands and being metal I think they would be more permanent.
    Here is the problem!
    I want bands I can personalize and I want them to be colored. I also want them to be numbered consecutively.
    I have only found two websites that have them... one is here:
    http://www.nationalband.com/nbtbird.htm#1242
    and one is here:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~lmbird/lmcat.html
    I prefer the last website because you can actually order as few as one band.
    But I don't know what size to get. I have seen on some sites 9/16" and some that say 7/16".
    Is it better to get a band too large than too small? Will slack in the band cause them trouble?
    Thanks! And if you guys know a better place to get them, please let me know!

2. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    Ok, nevermind about the last site... I just realized they are closed bands...

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Well I got mine from Ketchum Mfg. - colored, with my last name and the numbers 001-100 printed on them. They were 0.22 each, or $22 since you have to order 100. There is also the cost of pliers to close them up.
    I don't know where you can get those butt-end kind. I didn't want to get 100 of 15 different sizes, so I went with the 3-holed kind.
    The plus side of the adjustable kind is that I got one size for both my Leghorns and RIR rooster [​IMG]

This is what I got:
    http://www.ketchummfg.com/Adjustable-Seal-Leg-Bands-Colored-Aluminum-Numbered-and-Lettered-p468.html

They said to allow up to 3-4 weeks for "custom" printing (my name) plus I got the slowest shipping option.
    From date of my order to date they were AT my house - total of 3 days!!!!!!!! I was SHOCKED!
    I would definitely order from them again!

The only downside to me was having to order 100, but hey I'm not changing my last name any time soon [​IMG]

The results: Very annoyed birds with purple bracelets!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  4. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    How funny! They look nice!
    I emailed them, too but they didn't have any sizes for bantam birds so I figured that wasn't going to work!
    Man, I really wish they had them, though.
    It is really tough finding a leg band, who would have thought?!?

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

6. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    Thanks, that does help as they have a sizing chart but they still do not have the exact ones I want to order.
    I still am unsure to err on the side of too large or a little too small, esp. considering they are a feather-legged breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by