1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another lethargic puffed up chick...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ahwhite, May 25, 2016.

1. ahwhite

ahwhite Just Hatched

May 25, 2016
    Hello. My 5 week old Rhode island red has been puffed up and lethargic for a couple days. She is inside and isolated now, but had been getting some outside time and allowed to forage in her run. Her poop is small and watery, and her crop is still present (I don't know how big it should be) and it's soft. I tried turning her upside down and milking it last night, but only a little bit of clear liquid (water) came out.

We are amateurs! They have not been eating medicated feed. And I'm worried the grass was too long and they don't get enough grit. None of the other birds seem sick.

I know there are other threads about this but I just felt like I needed personalized advice. Thank you!

2. casharris

casharris New Egg

May 25, 2016
    I also have a young chicken that has a puffed up chest and is lethargic. She makes neck he's tires like she has something in her throat or wants to vomit. I need to know what it is, I can't afford to go the vet for one chicken.

3. ahwhite

ahwhite Just Hatched

May 25, 2016
    Also, I noticed today her poops (one after the other) are reeeaally dark, I would describe them as black with some white in them. And really runny.

4. ahwhite

ahwhite Just Hatched

May 25, 2016
    If no one else answers, I have called my vet who is just going to do some research and talk to me over the phone so I don't have to pay to come in, so I will let you know what she suggests! For us, I'm guessing sour crop or coccidiosis, but am not confident enough to not get some other opinions.

5. ahwhite

ahwhite Just Hatched

May 25, 2016

I think mine had some blockage, not sure the crop actually went sour, but I gave her some coconut oil, made sure she drank water, and isolated her for a couple of days so she wouldn't eat anything but the little helpings of yogurt I gave her. I massaged her crop, and she seems to be feeling much better now, and her crop has gone back to normal size and consistency.

6. ahwhite

ahwhite Just Hatched

May 25, 2016
    Help! So this chick I wrote about got better with some TLC, it's crop shrunk, and it acted happy and normal again. Then today I noticed it was again isolating and puffing up and not doing anything (at least I think it is the same one...I can't say for sure). This time though the crop does not feel full really, and it's breast bone seems to be protruding. I have isolated it this evening, forced some water on it, but have not seen any poop yet. Any ideas? Cocci? Worms? Is this girl just having reoccurring problems with her crop? Maybe last time it was sour and I got it to pass through but she is still having yeast problems? Feeling over my head, as this one is sick and another one has a broken leg...not having beginners luck!

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What symptoms is she exhibiting now. Is she lethargic, puffed up, wobbly, etc.
    What type of food/treats does she get?
    Does she now have access to grit?

It does almost sound like Cocci. Corid is very gentle and it won't hurt to treat for Cocci.

Dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Afterward, give some poultry vitamins in the water for a few days, and a bit of plain yogurt for probiotics. Here are 2 good articles to read:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1103914/coccidiosis-not-sure-if-my-chickens-have-it
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

1 person likes this.
  8. ahwhite

ahwhite Just Hatched

May 25, 2016

Thanks! She is just hugely puffed up, standing by herself, not protesting when I pick her up, and closing her eyes a lot. It's hard to get her to drink water. And yeah her breast bone seems like it is protruding.

She has been in her run since feeling better, the grass is shorter and they do have grit.besides what she finds in the yard, she just gets organic chick starter, I never did switch to medicated feed. I haven't been giving treats. She's not interested in eating tonight; tried giving her yogurt and she was not interested, which is different from last time.

Not wobbly.

I will go get some corid tomorrow, I should treat the whole flock to be safe right?

Thanks again...

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You can treat the whole flock if you want, it won't hurt them.
    If she isn't drinking, then she may be suffering from dehydration, so you may need to monitor her closely to ensure she is getting enough water.
    Food would be secondary, you can try wet chick starter, hard boiled eggs or tuna to see if she will eat something.

10. ahwhite

ahwhite Just Hatched

May 25, 2016
    Unfortunately my chick passed away this morning.

When I went to check on her she had not pooped, and was even more lethargic, not even being able to hold her head up. I used a dropper to give her water, then when I felt her crop it did feel a little ballooned, so I tried milking it. I don't know if I made her aspirate or what but she convulsed on me after and died.

Anyone have any thoughts about if this was something particular to this bird that got sick multiple times, or if it's something I'm doing wrong in general (food, grit, etc) if it is a sickness?

Having a hard time with it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by