Another Lice Question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mom2jedi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Hi all,

Just noticed lice (or what I would assume is lice) on one of my new fluffy butts. I got two 2 day old chicks last Friday for my broody hen. Last night I noticed one of them had pasty butt so I brought her in and cleaned her then put her back under momma hen. Today I checked her again and had to clean a little bit. While wiping with the wet paper towel, noticed almost clear tiny bugs running through her down away from her vent! I have DE in my coop (which admittedly I haven't put new down for a couple weeks due to end of school and vacation). Is it possible she came with them from the feed store? I'm about to go check the other chick but not sure I could see them. What am I looking for on my big hens? Same thing? I can't imagine taking a really close look at one of my big girls vent area, they won't like that very much! HELP! Is this something that my girls may have already had and I only just noticed it because of the little ones? ACK! Freaking out a little bit, don't like the idea of lice! These won't transfer to my kids will they?
    [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Dont freak out, I've had to deal with this problem myself. Get some sevin dust and dust all your chickens, their nests, house, everything. Carefully dust your chicks by using your fingers to rub the dust in...avoid the eyes. Redust everything in 10 days including chicks/chickens to get rid of any that have hatched since the first dusting.

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I agree with the above post. I use DE to help prevent, but if I see bugs I use seven and dust everyone/everything. Repeat and your problems will probably be over. If they transfer to your kids they won't stay long. They are species specific and can not live and thrive on a human host. [​IMG]

4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Whew! Thanks for the replies! I would assume I can get sevin dust at Home Depot or any other hardware store right?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yes.

6. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Or walmart

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by