1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another lighting question... is 12 hours of light enough?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FingerLakesChick, Sep 27, 2007.

1. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    My girls are almost 19 weeks old, they have not started laying yet. My plan is to keep them at 12 hours of light per day, so I just started using a light on a timer to go on in the morning. Will this be enough light to keep them on the path to laying without stressing them out too much?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It should be.
    In the winter we get down to 8 hours of daylight a day, so I start the timer so the light goes on 12 hours before dusk. I don't do it for the egglaying so much as making sure they get a good days enjoyment. I would hate to be dependant on the daylight to have fun and chickens are only active in light. I have gone out there at 6 am full dark and the chickens are all scratching around in the pen having a chickeny good ol time. [​IMG]

3. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    I don't really have any real response, so I apologize, but... *waves at another local person* [​IMG]

[​IMG] (yeah for the Finger Lakes! [​IMG])

4. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    Thanks! I'm going to give 12 hours of light a shot, just supplementing in the morning though, until day break.

Where in Central NY Pei? I'm in Honeoye.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I've read repeatedly that 15 hours is 'ideal'. I'm using 14 hours currently and so far so good. Mine come on at 7 am; off at 10 am. Then again on at 5 pm; off at 9 pm.

6. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I think I read that its better to have all the daylight earlier (like have the lights come on at 4am) but I cannot recall why that is...... anyone?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, I've also heard that 14 hours or so was ideal for egg production. I've also heard though that using light to stimulate laying increases the incidence of cancers in the girls due to all the egg laying. I wouldn't worry so much though since this is the first year chicks. I personally don't use lights.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I think it is because you can just turn the lights on and birds get up, but it is hard to slowly turn the lights off like the sun does and the birds get stuck off the roosts and can't get comfortable before it's pitch dark!

9. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    Quote:I'm in Dryden, just east of Ithaca.

And 12 hours is definitely better than the just about 10 hours we get at the peak of the dark parts of winter, so I would think it would help! [​IMG] (there it's an on topic response [​IMG])

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I've never given extra light. I figure let nature take it's course. I'd rather have the birds longer than more eggs. But mine are pets anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by