Another Lone Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by johnwilly1962, Jun 18, 2009.

1. johnwilly1962

johnwilly1962 In the Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Colorado
    During one of my unsuccessful hatches, I had only one serama rooster hatch. I was not able to get him a "buddy" for the growing up phase of his life. He is now 5 months old and afraid of other chickens, well, maybe not afraid. He tried fighting with one of the older hens that got too close to him, raising the feathers on his back and jumping up and down at her. Was definately not intimate. So, for now, him and I are buds. Seems to enjoy being cuddled and doesn't even mind the dogs licking him. Anyone else have an experience like this?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Yes. He should eventually adjust if youkeep at it.

3. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Or he could be your pet house chicken! [​IMG]

4. johnwilly1962

johnwilly1962 In the Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Colorado
    Oh, he is definately my house pet chicken, along with his mom and dad and three other unrelated siblings-one hen and two roos. They all get to live in the house due to the cold winters here and my city's lack of understanding. Yes, they are underground chickens, lol. I definately don't need an alarm clock. They all get run time every evening and I sneak them outside during the day when the neighbors are at work. They are all hand tamed and don't mind me holding them on their backs so I can cut their nails. Way better than parrots, and I have had them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: