Another member of the flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BriColie, Feb 13, 2017.

1. BriColie

BriColie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the site, homesteading in the Ozarks of Missouri for almost a year now - living totally off-grid with my husband & 2 children. We are working our way on being totally self-sufficent - we started out with just chickens, & now have rabbits, will be getting even more chickens, ducks, geese, & goats in the future.

My husband & I have built our home with our own 2 hands, from the ground up. All of our scraps have gone to building the animal houses we have (cats, dogs, chicken coops, etc). Nothing goes to waste on our homestead.

We started off with our chicken journey in the fall of last year. We got a mix of chickens (we get our chickens for our homestead, for eating & eggs) that are free-ranged: 4 fryer roosters, 2 barred rocks, 2 RIR, 1 silki, & 6 buffs. We were suppose to have all hens, except for the fryer roosters. We got them all as day old chicks...but as more & more started crowing, things got out of hand fast with too many roosters. We started with what we thought would be 11 hens & now only have 6 hens...I was really disappointed to find my broody silky crowing one morning! Oh, the disappointment lol.

We did slowly cull all but the silky rooster, which was the least aggressive rooster & the only one that hasn't tried hurting the hens (the rest had become too aggressive with too many roosters in the flock...I feel like once 1 of the more aggressive fryer's temperament turned, then they all just learned from that & spoiled the whole bunch - that was just my experience though). The hens are now much less stressed! We culled the last 2 roosters last night, & amazingly today our hens have layed their first eggs today! I was so excited! & it's been a much relaxing day without hearing the hens getting picked on or someone getting attacked from a rooster.

I hope to be able to get to know & meet a lot of you...& learn more in the process! xx

1 person likes this.
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Cockerels can be very obnoxious during their "teenage" time - I'm sure that you had your hands full!

Whilst you have some experience, you'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! What a great intro, I've really enjoyed reading and getting to know more about you. Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, BriColie, and [​IMG]! It's great to have you aboard! You live in a beautiful part of the world - I don't get to the Oarks nearly as much as I'd like to. Glad you have your rooster issues sorted out - best wishes to you and your flock and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I haven't been to the Ozarks for years but still remember how beautiful they are. You certainly have a nice spot for homesteading, and what a great experience for your children.

Glad things are calmer in the flock.

Best wishes!

7. BriColie

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool
    Thank you for the info hon! I checked it out & made some posts & met some pretty cool people. :D

8. BriColie

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool

Thank you :)

9. BriColie

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool

Thank you my dear! I look forward to getting to know & learn from everyone here :)

10. BriColie

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool

Thank you hon! :) we've lived in MO before, where my DH was stationed in Ft Leonard Wood, but nothing as beautiful as it is out in the Ozarks ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by